Posts by kimbm04r

This is the largest cake order I have had so far. It is a 6", 10" and 14" with 2 10" satellite cakes.This cake was a real challenge when it came down to the actual decorating and assembly. I have to give a great BIG thank you to my sister Kelly and her two daughters, Amber and Danielle for the help they gave me Friday night into Saturday morning to help me get this cake completed.The cakes are covered in buttercream with mint green fondant pearl scalloping and a royal...
I have baked cakes in my roaster as well and it turned out just fine. I do know that my aunt has baked pie in their gas grill also and I believe it may work for a cake as well. Preheat to the temp you need and keep the lid closed to maintain the temp.
I like the Magic Line and the Fat Diddio. The Fat Diddio because the side are straight and the have the lips for easier handling.
I took an order on Friday evening for my largest order yet. It is a wedding cake on the 18th. (For a friend, knew it was coming) This is going to be a total of 5 cakes (194 servings). The cake is inspired by a cake in the "Wilton Tiered Cakes" book "Pearl Necklace", actually it is on the cover as well. Since it is on the Globe Pillar and Base system, I will be doing the three tier cake with 2 10" satellite cakes that will be decorated identical to the main cake. They...
I went to Country Kitchen yesterday to get supplies for a wedding cake that I have coming up in a couple of weeks. I was looking in the Separator Plate aisle and was shocked to see that they carry the SPS system. I am really happy to see that I can go to Fort Wayne to get replacements when needed instead of having to order online.Just wanted to share.............
I will be making a wedding cake using the Globe Pillar system in a couple of weeks. The bride wants a cake to serve 160 - 200 people (haven't confirmed the servings yet, will do Friday) but I have a question. I am not sure how to go about getting the extra servings. The cake design she picked (Wilton Tiered Cakes book, Pearl Necklace) is for 116 servings. What is my best option for achieving the servings I need? I don't know that I could add more tiers to the cake due...
I bought the vinyl quite some time ago but never used it until a few weeks ago when I made my GD's Castle cake. I will never again roll out fondant without my vinyl again. I can't believe the difference it makes with the rolling and putting the fondant on the cake.I also suggest getting a rolling pin that is long enough to easily roll out wide fondant (you will need it for the wedding cake). I use a marble rolling pin but sometimes it is just to heavy. You will...
If you can't find the substitute for the vegetable shortening, I have read that you can add a drop or so of Violet food coloring to bring it back closer to white.
I have made two of them using the Wilton Castle Kit. The latest one being for my granddaughter's 4th birthday a couple weeks ago. This one went a lot easier than the first, but the first one used a dummy cake for the top tier and it made it harder to put the towers on the cake without them falling over.I will try to attach a picture of the latest cake if I can, but I seem to have a problem with getting any pictures to upload lately. My first one is in my photos but you...
This cake turned out really great. My daughter and son-in-law even came over to help with some of the decorating.This is made with Occthur's (thanks again) Strawberry cake and Strawberry mousse recipes. It is covered with MMF as well as is the cake board. The wheels are marshmallow pinwheel cookies, the "passengers" are mini nilla wafer, the "lights" are M&Ms.I can't seem to get the photos to upload here. Maybe in my photos.