Posts by bnbmom

I would say at least $150 But illegal bakers on craigslist would charge $35 BAM!
In florida I read that you do not need a license. Here in los angeles you do. I am legal and I am a SAHM with another full time at home job. I have waited so long for california to have a CFL, and now that i am legal, i am in competition with bakers who are wonderful at there skills and charge LESS than $1.00 per serving, fondant cakes, and all. If a cake cost them $25 from cake to cake board, they only charge $35. When i saw that, i was amazed! And this is los angeles,...
Bakers giving away cake is exactly what is happening in los angeles. All over craigslist they are selling cakes that at the minimum should be $200 for around $60:( If they make a thirty dollar profit, they are good with that. I cannot compete with there prices. It's not worth it for me. They have orders and orders, and I think that for them it is about volume of sales. I saw on there facebook a 4 tier huge wedding cake with all over bling and quilting and they price...
I cannot wait to have just one cake order. Getting my name out there is very hard for me. I have been giving out samples to salons and banks and dealerships, but still no orders:( I just need to keep trying I guess.
Awsome ideas, i ws trying to look into this as well. I have heard of some bakers offering cupcakes that have been frozen then thawed. I like the idea of a 4 inch cake. At a major famous wedding cake bakery in los angeles, they hand out samples on a tray that are Individually wrapped pieces of frosting filled cakes that about 1 1/2 inch square. They give them to everyone who walks in. My kids loved it there:grin:
I hope they feel better. I just got my flu shot.
Thanks for the replies. Sorry i could not get back sooner, i just finished my website. Www.fabulousfrostings.com I am in the los angeles area, and my target is of course brides, but i know it will take some time to get there. All the advice is great advice,thanks for that. I have started to hand out business cards, and i will start to send some samples along with them. I am sure it will get really busy for me in no time. Thanks everyone:-D
first off, thank you guys for any and all reply's I am just wondering how long did it take for you to get a response and/or order when you first began. I cannot seem to get a response exept asaide from scammers. I am not sure where to start toget my name out there. My family and friends will not pay for a cake,they expect it for free or they do not order. I am kind of a homebody and i basically just hand out my business cards here and there. So I am just wondering how...
Thanks for the info jason. Would you say that sweetex z is better than crisco?
They say that hi- ratio shortening is smoother and holds up better because of the extra fat. And i have noticed it as well. I have been looking all day and night for a good crusting smooth buttercream solution to this problem, but nobody seems to have an answer. It's either that you have hi-ratio and your good, or you have crisco and your out of luck with horrible icing. So I guess california has got it pretty bad. I was really excited to open a home bakery in...