Posts by zinger60

I have a wedding coming up next month and the bride asked if she could have one tier of the cake blueberry and some of the cupcakes also. I have never made a blueberry layer cake before. I am concerned that it would be heavy like blueberry muffins. Does anyone have a layer cake recipe that would work well with this? I would like it to be one that uses a cake mix or an extender recipe (WASC)
I bought a soccer ball pan which is the big one that looks like half of a ball. I was wondering if I could make 2 of the cakes and put them together to make one complete soccer ball. Is that possible?
I have a three tiered caddy wampus cake to deliver next Saturday. I bought Bronwen Webers stand but I have never made and delivered one of these before. I am concerned about the cakes sliding off the stand and cutting the actual holes in the cakes. Also, with delivering, do I put it in a box or take it just like it is? The cakes are going to be fondant covered with one being a zebra print, one being Cheetah and one being Giraffe. Do I decorate all the tiers completely...
I was asked to make a 2-3 ft tall, 3D unicorn cake. The design the woman sent shows a unicorn sitting down with his neck up in the air and a butterfly sitting on his nose. I have no idea how I would do the internal support system for a cake like this. I have searched the web and can't find any details on making one like this. Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you, everyone! Is it best to go 50/50 or use less American and more Swiss?
I am wanting a less sweet buttercream and one that will crust slightly. I was wondering if anyone has tried making SMBC and mixing it with some regular American buttercream.
Excellent ideas! Thank you so much!
I have a cake order and the customer wants a SMBC covered cake with fondant poppies on the sides of the cake. I am wondering if the flowers would stick to the buttercream or if they might possibly slide down the sides of the cake. Also, is there a way to make poppies out of buttercream instead of fondant? They would still have to be on the sides of the cake so I'm still not sure that they wouldn't slide off. This cake is due on Saturday and I am so concerned about how...
I have a huge business opportunity coming up. I was approached by a major jewelry chain store to be a part of their wedding extravaganza event in April. I need to make a large dummy cake for inside the store and a smaller one for the window. I have never made one of these before and I guess my first and most important question is how fondant will hold up under hot lights in the store window. The cake will be on display for 3 weeks and I don't know how hot the lights...
I have a cake order coming up for a punk rock theme. The party is going to have blacklights and everything that will glow in the dark. I thought it would be so cool to have painting on the cake that glows also. I have heard of using tonic water but not sure how to use it and if it would work on a fondant cake. Seems like it would make the fondant sticky.