Posts by cgm_cakes

I was wondering about the torting and filling as well. I will have a lemon cake to be brushed with a simple lemon syrup and filled with a homemade mixed berry preserve. I will also have a Chocolate cake filled with chocolate ganache and a red velvet filled with cream cheese. I've read various threads on here and some say to torte and fill frozen while others say to torte and fill thawed.Secondly, I know the ganache and cream cheese cakes need to be refridgerated. What...
Thanks for the tips. Does anyone bake early in the week and not freeze? Is it possible to do this and keep your cakes fresh? It's not safe to just keep them at room temperature as it's getting warmer and more humid - I find my bread starts growing mold after 5 days in the cupboard. Refridgerating the cake just dries it out, right?I usually always bake 2 days before so freshness is not a problem. I wasn't thinking when I agreed to 2 3 stack cakes in one weekend.
I have a weekend coming up where I need to make 3 cakes for pick up Sat. at noon. I work full time. I need to start the baking early in the week. What do you do to ensure the cakes are moist and fresh. Bake and freeze? Do you freeze hot or cold? I want to bake on Tues/Wed. I'll start icing on Thurs. What is the best way to keep my cakes fresh and moist?
I was hoping that someone in this forum who does this for a living can answer my question:I'm making cupcakes for a cousins wedding - 2 of the flavors will have a filling - 1 is canned cherry pie filling, the other is a homemade pineapple filling made from canned pineapple, sugar and constarch.My question is this: I baked the cupcakes last night and will be filling and icing them (with standard b/c) tonight. Do they have to be refridgerated for tomorrow's wedding or not?...
My hubby is going to build me a cupcake stand for a wedding. 6" cutting cake to go on top and 110 cupcakes. The top tier will start at 8"/Any suggestions on how many tiers? I was thinking of increments of 4" . . . ie 8, 12, 16, 20, 24. Would these hold enough? What looks better - 4", 5" or 6" between tiers?Thanks for your help!My hubby is building it out of plywood with a 4x4 as the middle pillar/support and it will be painted black.
I was just about to post the exact same thing. Definitely don't bake if you are contagious but do speak to your customer as opposed to email or FB.
That's why a fairly average cost of $3 per serving would give this cake a cost of $450 . . . . and that would be very basically decorated. Don't forget to add the costs of cakeboards, boxes and supports in . . . it's really amazing how much the cost of materials is.
"Your sides look nice and straight, and the whole cake looks nice and straight. No "squishing" between layers, looks like it was supported very well. BUT.............Well, I think the buttercream could be a lot smoother, kind of ragged around the edges also. The ribbon looks baggy and wavy. And the scrolls are downright.....awkward? I would have used a pattern press or practiced a lot and looked at other scrolls before doing that cake....I would have been very...
I've been trying to come up with a similar pricing structure but have never been able to figure out how to put it in a grid for easy reference. If you could email or pm me as well it would be greatly appreciated. candiesconfections@shaw.ca
I was not offended by your comments and hopefully my previous responses weren't interpreted as such. I know it's frustrating when people want baker quality for WalMart prices. Even if you WANT to you CANT compete with that or you'd lose money. If she hung up on you it's water off a ducks back . . . she obviously had champagne tastes on a beer budget. Because sheet cakes can be faster to do - only 1 cake to bake, no stacking, etc. I do charge less per serving. I have a...