Posts by CakeRx

Is there a way on CC to view a cake artist's pictures as if you're looking at a category? What I mean is, when I blow a pic up, I'd like to be able to forward and go to the next pic in their album, instead of the next one in the category they're in. Thumbnails are so small...anyone? Thanks!
I haven't used fondant on cupcakes before, but will try it. I have, however, used round candy molds (2") with white chocolate-based decorations, and it looks great. There is never a question of whether or not they eat the topper!
Hi everyone-- My two cents, as I haven't seen this mentioned.The most common allergens besides dairy and eggs are wheat, corn, and soy. The MOG obviously isn't allergic to flour, so it's poosible she is allergic to the soy or cornoil in the box mix (as my stepdaughter is). You should NOT have to make a scratch cake for one person who isn't going to be paying for this cake anyway! Let her eat chocolate! Otherwise, I agree with Melvira:1. Ask what the specific allergy is...
OMG I had to respond to this post! Last year, my schnauzer got the SAME color from a basket I left sitting on a kitchen chair; I realized he was playing with something but thought it was one of his toys. Long story short, after I shampooed him AND the floor, rug, etc., I took him for a walk that afternoon. When he did his business, LOL, it was BRIGHT BLUE! No kidding; looked like candy. We laughed all the way home....
I had this problem when I first started baking. Sometimes my denser cakes, like chocolate fudge, still shrink a bit and bulge despite my best efforts. Those have to be trimmed. For everything else, though, here is what helped:1. Oven no hotter than 325; increase baking time2. Use thermal strips to distribute heat and humidity during baking3. I use flower nails upside down in pans over 6" to pevent bulging and cracking at the top. Works like a charm. Hope this helps!
Bless that bride...her husband is a lucky man for sure...
WOW! I love this cake! Have you tried contacting the food and editing division of the magazine? If I knew what issue this came from, I'd do it for you....good luck!
d925marie, I totally agree. Though I've tried various frosting recipes, most of my customers request cream cheese frosting. The regular cream cheese frosting (sans shortening) not only wilts at room temperature but makes fondant soft and droopy as well. I've found that reducing the butter and adding shortening (Hi-ratio, store brands still contain the trans fat that makes it smoother than Crisco) makes the cream cheese frosting "crust" and pleases those who don't want...
Oh, not true! Real clear vanilla is made by steeping vanilla beans in rum or vodka (I left mine in for 3 months before I used it.) I got my Madagascar vanilla beans from Williams-Sonoma. I don't have the URL at hand, but recipes for dark and clear vanilla can be found online. Doug, can you help us out here?
I don't know why some people are weird about their cakes. I made a baby shower cake for a lady a month or so ago. It was some of my cleaner work (still getting there) and I was very pleased with it. (My pink bow baby bottom). When she met me on delivery, she took it from me and placed it in her car. In a barely audible voice, she said "oh...that's....cute." It was disconcerting because the cake was exactly what she asked for. Since then, I've had several calls from people...