Posts by brian1974

actually i found the correct answer,  Krylon H20 is a latex based paint, as long as the sufaces are not touching any food, its safe (ie seperating using cake boards....
Hi All,   So i wanted to paint a styrofoam cake layer to use inbetween 2 other cake layers, cake boards are seperating this layer from touching anything edible. I wanted a silver effect so i purchased a silver spray paint rustoleum i believe, anyway after just one coat this stuff ate through a portion of the styrofoam, so no good.... What do people use to pain these styrofoam layers? Im not interested in covering them in fondant or ribbon, has to be painted...
So i made my first 3 tier buttercream cake, and had varied gumpaste roses to add to it.I arrived at the venue with the cakes and stacked them up , all was going well,However when i tried to add one of the larger roses to the top tier i noticed the weight of it was squishing down the edge of the buttercream, to the point that i had to take it off.It was a med-lg size rose.I used a 50/50 butter/shortning recipie and had chilled the cakes overnight, the venue wasnt...
Also while im at it, i am attatching some gumpaste flowers to the ledges of the tiers, the wires are covered in floral tape and will be going into straws.I want to add something else to glue them into place - i assume royal icing is out because of the buttercream, so im guessing either a stiff buttercream or piping gel?any advisce?thanksBrian
Hi all, a follow up to my buttercream question,I have a wedding of a friend saturday afternoon,Im making a buttercream 3 tier cake, however tiers wont be assembled until i arrive at venue.This is my first all buttercream cake -(only made fondant ones before)Anyway, in order to have time to perfect the lines and allow for any disastersId like to assemble the cake (put to gether layers and ice )Thurs night and then keep chilled in fridge until i leave on saturday.My...
awesome!Thankyou
Thank you annie,So just to clarify making both buttercreams tonight and refridgerating them will be good for saturday then?thanksBrian
Hello,I need to make two buttercreams for a cake on saturday however my week is looking really busy and id like to make it ahead of time if possible.My first buttercream is a basic 50/50 butter/shortening recipie.The second is a choclate buttercream that uses some heavy cream and all butter.How many days before hand can i make these and keep refridgerated without them loosing flavor? thanksBrian
Hi,Usually I but Satin Ice Balck Fondant, however I dont have the time this week so i need to use what i have,I need to cover a 10 inch cake in black fondant.I have White satin ice fondant, I also have Americolor Black Gel Color, and also i have americolor Black Airbrush color.The problems i have had in the past is that to get such a deep color (red beinganothe problem one) I have found the fondant gets over satuated and becomes too sticky and tears easy.Will it be better...
Something i didnt know either, havnt done it yet , usually i use a cream cheese based icing for filling and then a regular buttercream icing for the dam and the dirty ice.At least i know now not to dirtyice in the same cream cheese buttercream.