Posts by Kaytecake

I bough the Badda Bloom Cake at BJs out of curiosity. My family didn't like it. The cake part wasn't too bad, the filling was fudgy, but the butter cream was awful. I suspect it's from the amount of coloring they had to use- the flavor was strange and it had a waxy texture.   I don't think we're being negative discussing this product. I don't dislike Buddy and family, but I think he's doing what most of the celebrity bakers/chefs do. They try to make as much money as...
I'm not surprised by this trend. With the economy the way that it is- people will be looking for ways to cut costs. People may want to do things more simply and economically. Why not rent a cake? Why not rent a gown? Who wears their wedding grown again? Yes, you could pass it on to a daughter, but it may not fit or be too deteriorated or out of style.I make dummy cakes for practice and I can see how this would be a good alternative for some people. Real cake is great but...
Unfortunately, people are more self centered these days and don't care if they are taking advantage of a "friend". After all, you should feel honored to do this for her. I don't mean to sound so negative but people seem to feel entitled to whatever they want. That's why a true friend who doesn't take advantage is so special.It's up to you. I don't think that you're being unreasonable at all. I think that you're giving her a heck of a deal. Too bad for her if she can't see...
So, they are going to give the show a second season. I hope that they improve the format, but we'll have to see. Good luck to all the bakers who apply. I'll stick with Amazing Wedding Cakes and Fabulous Cakes.
I spray my gumpaste figures/flowers with food lacquer and after they dry, I store them in a cardboard cake box to protect them from sunlight and dust. I don't keep them sealed in plastic. I've had some stored for over a year. It depends on the thickness of the item. My figures are holding up well. My flowers are brittle and have to be handled very carefully. I'm not sure how long the flowers would hold up. The more delicate items may not hold up as well. HTH
I mix them- some I hang upside down so they look like they're in early stages of bloom. For the open look- I thin the petal edges and slightly cup them with a ball tool.
I just bought the veiner and ethnic mold sets and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The molds are good sized, thick, and have well defined patterns that transfer clearly onto the gumpaste. I used the leaf veiner and was pleased with the realistic imprint. It works well with multiple sized cutters, too.I like this new product line and hope to see more.
Wow! I'm happy to say that I've never encountered any critters in my mixes- although they may not have been visible- ewww. I do put flour, dry pasta, and mixes in the freezer for 24 hours to kill any potential stowaways. I sift everything for better texture and to be sure that I catch what might be a problem. I don't know anything about mass production, but there is a chance of finding "extras" in our food. Government agencies have regulations of how much is acceptable-...
I used to use DH mixes with good results, but I was not happy with them the last couple of times that I used the yellow mix. I enhanced my mix batter but it didn't help. The cake had no flavor at all- it was bland- like white bread.I don't make that many cakes, so that limits my experience. I don't use DH or Betty Crocker anymore. They both seem different to me. So far, I'm having great results with Pillbury. I hope that they leave their formula alone and I hope that you...
I'd like to try this, too, but I'm concerned about using the raw egg as a binder. Is there a substitute to use?