Posts by kerririchards

I don't know how that particular cake was done, but if I were to do it I would start with a 1/2 sheet cake and print off a picture in the size I needed and lay it over the cake to carve. Whoever made that cake did an awesome job!
What the . . .???
Ok, I went to the tutorial again and clicked on the guys name who did the tutorial and it took me directly to sugarcraft. Don't know that I want to open THAT can of worms! Plus, I couldn't find his name on the site, so I am guessing he is no longer there.
KHalstead, what kind of paper are you using for your transfers? When I took my iced cake out of the freezer the icing was VERY firm - not frozen, but firm. I just worry about my cake drying out if I leave it in the freezer too long. I never freeze cakes to decorate with because I don't want that "frozen cake" taste or texture. Surely though, a few extra minutes wouldn't make that much of a difference.
I just tape my parchment paper to a sturdy cake board (larger than what I need for the cake) and then when I am ready to flip the whole thing over, I have my real cake board on the "bottom" of the cake for support. I think you are supposed to take the support board off after flipping it over and then stick it back in the fridge for a few before removing the paper. Maybe my problem is the paper. I wonder if onion skin paper would be any better. I also wonder if the...
See, I think that is the whole point of the upside down technique - you shouldn't HAVE to smooth with a paper towel or roller or hot spatula. If I could just get it figured out, it would save me TONS of time, because I just can't leave that teeny weeny wrinkle or not-so-perfect spot alone. Even though I am sure no one will even notice it. Maybe the trick IS to use thicker icing - kind of goes against everything we were taught, right?
I have tried this method a few times with absolutely NO luck. Sure, the sides turn out perfectly smooth, but when I go to remove the parchment paper or acetate from the top, I end up pulling icing off the cake, and what doesn't get pulled off is definately NOT smooth because it has stuck to the paper. I have tried parchment like the tutorial calls for and someone told me that transparency paper is acetate. Neither of those have worked for me. The tutorial calls for...
Me too! They just transport better that way. I used to have issues with icing blow-outs (a poof of icing somewhere on the cake that would just, well, looked like someone BLEW it out from the inside). I mentioned this to a friend who worked in a bakery. She said they got that ALL the time but when she moved to a different bakery where they refrigerated all of their decorated cakes, it was no longer a problem. Now that I refrigerate, it is no longer a problem for me...
I see. Thanks!!!
Oh! Well, that sounds easy enough! My buttercream crusts well too, but I usually put a glob of fresh icing in the middle before I center one tier on top of the other. I was taught that this would keep the tiers from sliding. Maybe I should skip that step - doesn't appear that you have ANY problems with your cake tiers moving.