Posts by Heatherly30

I am making this cake next month.  I have been told that these are silver dragees.  They do seem to have the shine of silver, but in my opinion they also look like they have a lot of pearl in them.  Could I achieve this look by adding Super Pearl Luster Dust to the silver dragees?  Any other advice for achieving this look?
Would this technique work...?  There is no way I have the patience to attach all of those pearls one by one, so here's what I'm thinking.  I will press some fondant inside of a cake pan (the bottom and side) to create a 90 degree angle small strip of fondant.  Press the pearls into the pieces of fondant and attach to cake.  This will be in buttercream.  Anyone done this?  Is it going to be trickier than I think?  Other techniques that are fool proof?  Any other advice?
My first time making chocolate buttercream and not sure how I feel about it. Using Sugarshack chocolate bc recipe. Maybe it's too bitter? I've used 4 lbs powdered sugar, should I add more?
I am in need of dark icing, preferably black.  If I make chocolate buttercream and tint it black, is it still going to turn teeth black?  Anyone have a chocolate buttercream recipe they would recommend?   Can't believe I've never made chocolate buttercream...
I am reading that I'm not the only one who has this issue, and wondering if anyone has found a solution.  I will definitely look at the quantity and make sure it's 18.25 oz before I buy.  I need to make a recipe of Chocolate WASC and Red Velvet WASC.  If anyone knows what I can add to prevent this hard shell on top, please share.  Or, I'm open to other doctored recipes...
You're probably right.  I'm thinking I might present it more as a form to fill out.  Ask them their theme, number of servings, their budget, etc.  Then I'll weave all of the "educating" information weaved into it.  I may test it out and just see what happens, won't hurt.  May be a flop.     Luckily I asked the mom who wanted a 3D Lightning McQueen cake to serve 20 what her budget was before I bothered pricing it out.  Sorry mom, I can't do that for less than $30.
We have all been through it.  A potential customer sends us a photo of a cake they want, we take the time to price it, send them the estimate and they return saying "I can't pay that much."  I want to create an introduction letter to send to anyone who inquires about a cake to somewhat educate them on the time, money, materials, ingredients, etc that goes into making their custom cake.  Sort of a custom cake vs. store bought comparison.  I want them to know before I take...
I downloaded an amazing pricing matrix from this forum.  I have spent all afternoon entering my ingredients, their prices, quantities, etc.  Perhaps my non mathematical brain is stuck, but I am at a loss for figuring out my cost per serving of Satin Ice.  I don't use a ton of fondant, so I only buy the 2 lb containers.  It costs me $15.99/2 lb container.  I'm not sure how many servings a container covers, therefore, I can't figure out my cost per serving.  Honestly, I'm...
I downloaded an amazing pricing matrix from this forum.  I have spent all afternoon entering my ingredients, their prices, quantities, etc.  Perhaps my non mathematical brain is stuck, but I am at a loss for figuring out my cost per serving of Satin Ice.  I don't use a ton of fondant, so I only buy the 2 lb containers.  It costs me $15.99/2 lb container.  I'm not sure how many servings a container covers, therefore, I can't figure out my cost per serving.  Honestly, I'm...
This is awesome, amazing!!  I was going to ask what formula you use to determine your cost per serving, and then I saw the second tab in the spreadsheet.  I assume I can edit those fields too.  I'm fascinated!!