Posts by MrsNancyB1

Thank you!I just made a batch of this icing and it turned out perfectly fine. The reason I was concerned was last year I was trying to make the icing for my DD's birthday cake, and it just would NOT turn out. I was using store-brand shortening that contained trans fat in it. I made about 4 batches that were basically separating, grainy and would NOT stick to the cake (it was ultimately a cake disaster, and I had to end up buying her birthday cake!). I wasn't sure why, but...
Oh really? I'll have to give that a try. All the crisco that's out there is 0g trans fat. It's worth a shot anyway.Also, I have been checking the labels on many store brands, and their shortening also has 0g trans fat. I'll give the crisco a shot today and report back...Thanks!
The topic title says it all! I like that recipe, but now have been having a hard time finding shortening with trans fat in it. I don't have time to order hi-ratio online...TIA!
Here in Los Angeles county, I can not rent space from a commercial kitchen to sell cakes legally out of my home. This has put a huge banner of red tape on my dream to actually get a cake business going here.My DH and I were chatting, and he suggested something that I hadn't thought of before. He suggested finding a catering company or a restaurant etc, and discussing the prospect of becoming an 'employee' of theirs. That employer wouldn't pay me, instead me and that...
Yes, I did use an excellent batch of MMF that had no cracking, no elephant skin, no sagging etc. It *may* be the MMF, but honestly with the cost of pre-made fondant, and all of the time that goes into levelling, filling, trimming and crumb coating, I'm just unsure that I want to 'risk' using the mat and having another bad result. I think if I really want to give it another whirl, I'll just try it on a dummy cake or something just to get the hang of releasing the fondant...
First, I want to preface this by saying this post is in NO WAY personal. Sweetwise has been truly helpful with addressing any issues that I may have had with the Mat. With that said, I need to be honest and say that I'm now officially disappointed with the mat.I just completed a cake for Saturday, that was two tiers (8in round on top of a 12 in round). I have Sharon Z's 'flawless fondant' DVD and I use that to level my cakes, fill my cakes, trim my cakes and crumbcoat my...
I just finished this cake for my daughter's 2nd birthday. It took me 3 months to complete the figures, and I've only gotten 85 views on it I'm beyond proud of this cake, since I feel I have now taken my figure-making to the next level. Please have a look and let me know what you think! Thanks!! http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1838423
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!! More than the story, I loved the pictures. I literally laughed out loud at some of them!
I used my mat for the first time today, and my review is mixed. Here's what I liked:- I was able to roll out my fondant in advance of the time I needed it for the cake and it stayed moist between the vinyl layers.- I didn't need any cornstarch which considerably cut down on my clean up time. - I used a small disc of white fondant in the middle of my grey fondant, because I didn't roll enough out. Sweetwise shows this in her video and it worked really well. - I was able to...
I use chefmaster colors and absolutely love them. I love that they come in a bottle, so I don't need to deal with toothpicks and I love that I only need to use a little bit of color to achieve the results that I want. I don't buy any of the Wilton colors anymore.