Posts by shadowcat1501

Thank you very much for the pricing matrix loriana, but I don't have excel installed on my pc. I could have really used that too.
Thanks kandu001. I just thought that it would be less expensive to purchase a property that already has an extra kitchen. Like you said, you'd have the separte kitchen, a restroom and plenty of storage areas too. It would also mean you'd have a separate entrance. I guess you'd have to watch out for zoning issues though. Some areas are not zoned "commercial".
Thanks leahs for using your "softer side" lol. I am not legal yet, but I'm working on it. Trying to draw up my business plan and all that. I'm also in the house hunting process to try to find one that already has two kitchens in it (ie a duplex) as it is required in my state to have a separate kitchen. I've been reading these forums like crazy to get as much info as I can on the business of baking. For me, I just think it's better all around for both myself and the...
I just wanted to thank you all for your encouragement and kind words. I really do appreciate you taking time to offer your advice. This website is priceless!!! Cake Central has the friendliest members of any website I know.
Hello everyone! I could really use some advice if you wouldn't mind. I bought my first cake decorating tip set in April 2009. Since then, I've been baking and decorating up a storm. Thanks to everyone here at CC, I've learned so much! What I need advice on is this: People are starting to want to buy cakes from me (which is really good), but I'm not at all sure of how to price them. I've read on here that some people get as much as $5.00 to $7.00 per serving. That...
Oh I hate trying to price my work!!! I can never figure out all the details (especially when people put you on the spot for an answer). I'm still in the "hobby stage" of caking right now, but I have a paid order due for Sunday. I hope I'm charging enough, but I'm never sure. Scared to overcharge because I'm a beginner, scared to undercharge because I work so hard. I REALLY like the idea of having a lot of copies of the price list handy though. I'm going to use this...
Any cakers, groups, clubs, etc. from central KY?
I would love to open my own business one day, but I've only been doing cake decorating for a few months. I have always loved to bake and make desserts of all kinds! I'm sort of known as the dessert person at family gatherings and on holidays. I like to cook other things too, but none as much as desserts. I know there will be a lot of 'business stuff' involved in opening my own place and I think that will be the only thing that holds me back.
This is a topic I'm interested in myself. I'd like to eventually start my own cake business, but am having troubles trying to figure out the pricing game. I have seen this advice before about going to local bakeries to compare prices. I would do that, but the small town I live in doesn't even have a bakery other than grocery or chain stores. I wish there was an easy way to figure out pricing, oh say like, snapping your fingers and the prices magically being there. ...
For those of you who have ventured out and opened up your own cake business, do you just sell cakes or do you sell other things like candy, pies, cookies, brownies, etc.? Just curious.