Posts by Bel_Anne

Planet cake sticks wire directly into their cakes, also. If you knew the affects that plastic were having on our bodies, you'd probably be just as concerned, if not more concerned, about straws and posy picks..... You can buy a parafilm that's made of paper... Not latex. A lot of people use that to wrap their wires first, in Australia. I do this also. No chance of it coming off when you pull it out.
Don't ever use ganache to torte and cover your cakes with before covering in fondant. This is what I do, as I was taught the planet cake method, but geeeezz it's expensive.Plus I really only make mud cakes, which are probably the most expensive type of cake to make. I am expensive, but I also should be charging more. I'm happy to get a bit less for now. But plan on bumping my prices up.People just have absolutely no idea of what it costs to make cake because nobody...
I think it's really an American/Canadian thing. Hardly anyone does this in Australia. Of course, I could divide the cost of every cake by the amount of people I'm serving it with... But I just can't see how it matters. If I'm doing a 6" round with loads of detail... hand made figures etc and I charge $150... I could say that it cost them $12.50 a serving. Then that customer comes back and orders a 9" round with the same detail, but no figures and I charge $150. Do I...
The way I price my cakes (3D or otherwise) has nothing to do with price per serving. I add up all my overheads (ingredients, power used, boards, dowels etc etc), then I estimate how long it will take me to mix ingredients, ganache the cake, cover in fondant and decorate. I give myself an hourly rate and multiply that by the time it will take me to do (Eg $25 x 8hours = 200 ). Then add my overhead costs on top of that ($100). I now have a price ($300). Those prices were...
Scratch, scratch, scratch!! I'm an old fashioned girl at heart... I was also very surprised to learn a lot of businesses (even the biggest and the BEST) use mixes. But I confidently believe that majority of people have never tasted a scratch cake in their entire life. I'm not blowing my own horn (maybe I am a tiny bit), but I hear back from nearly 90% of my customers saying my cakes are the best they've tasted and whilst I focus on decorating... my referring orders are...
I'll admit, I haven't read all of these responses... But if I was Duff, I'd probably 'sell out', too. Hell, I definitely would! If someone came up to me and said, "if we put your name on a whole bunch of cake decorating stuff and you sit back and pocket the coin... would you??". Are you kidding?? Is that even a question??? Who cares what it tastes like... Most decorating 'stuff' I buy IS useless crap. Most mixes DO taste like... well, won't go there, haha. And...
Yeah, I've seen one cut on here once and it looked delish. If noone answers I'll just experiment with a soft cookie recipe I have...
I've been trolling the forum for half an hour and can't find this although I'm sure it's there..I've heard a few people add a soft cookie layer to their cakes when torting and I was looking for a recipe for this... Do you just use any soft cookie recipe? Then when torting put this layer in the middle or something? Also would you brush it with syrup to soften it more... so there wasn't a big 'crunchy' bit in the middle? Or is that yummy? Texture is 50% of taste!I've...
It's not the matter of just an 'allergic reaction'.. It's a matter of an 'anaphylactic reaction'. It's like comparing a cold to cancer... Anyway, I won't write anymore... But education on this topic really is needed in all communities. You can always put a 'frozen brick' in your kids lunch box (which could also be a 'cold bag') then it's kept at the right temp for any sandwich filling..
I meant in a 'nut free' school. Then you definitely would. Parents could sue... I mean absolute no disrespect to anyone by my opinions. But I just urge you guys to have compassion and put in a little more effort for those kids who aren't so fortunate...