Posts by lorieleann

this.     if there is any question as to meringue powder causing the crust, please make up two batches of ABC, with and without meringue power to test the theory.  To see what actually makes it crust, try the recipe with different ratios of powder sugar to fat.  You will see that the more powder sugar added to the whipped fat, the more crust will develop--regardless of the amount of meringue powder added. I never add meringue powder to my ABC and i have no problem...
you can always try!  I would think that the water content in the earth balance, as well as the added salt would not make for a good buttercream.     If i had to make a dairy-free SMBC, I would sub the butter for  hi-ratio shortening, and if that wasn't available I would use crisco with a TON of butter-vanilla flavor to try to make up the taste.  I actually have subed half hi-ratio in my SMBC for heat stability and while it isn't the same, it is a tasty end result...
I like the black teeshirts at Macy's. But Target has black tee shirts that are half as expensive.  Are they as good of quality?  Most likely not.  But I need a black tee shirt to wear to this birthday party and I'd rather spend less on it. After all, they are both black tee shirts and no one is really going to know the difference, right? I can go tell Macy's this, but Macy's probably knows that Target also sells black tee shirts so what's the point?  I'd be really...
practice making the petals on a practice board first.  You just have to get the feel of how big of a ball to pipe and then how much pressure you need to smoosh and drag.  You may want to play with the consistency of your buttercream as well. A stiff buttercream isn't going to drag out as much as you would like, but too thin is not going to hold its form. 
the Marvelous Molds are designed at 2 X pi so that they will go seamlessly around even diameter cakes (i don't know what sorcery that is attributed to, just that i tried it and it's true!) I believe that he talks about that in the video.  THere is a little bit of a learning curve in getting the feel for the right consistency of your fondant, but designs go pretty quick once you have the feel for it.  I really love the ones I have. 
I prefer the bigger and thicker 'bubble tea' straws (Target actually has some in their party isle right now) for smaller cakes because they do not displace cake, are easier to cut, and people seem to have less incidence of them slipping to the side and failing. The hollow poly dowels are pretty much the same thing, but made with reinforcement ribs. I think that Global Sugar Art sells them, and there is a wilton version.  I now buy big boxes of the bubble tea straws on...
I have done a few double barrels and i think they are a great look. I think your plan is on the right track, but I would suggest having the top and the bottom cake be the same height--just for serving east. If you can get each 'cake' to be 4" be it with torting and filling, two 2" cakes to get 4"-4.5".  That would be FOUR 2" high layers each cut in half for 4 layers of cake and three layers of filling on each cake.  This will give you nice size pieces for serving.  You...
how about buying it on Amazon and having it shipped directly to your friend's address.  Just may be cheaper and fresher than what you can find in a small shop.  
  uggg...that is horrible when it happens!  When you collar your pans, it really is to get a true 2" cake after it settles instead of actually extending a 2" pan to get a 3" layer.  The extra inch of parchment collar helps the cake climb up just enough so that when the hot cakes settles, it will exhale to being level with the top of the pan.  I find that WASC/box recipes don't have this process as much as your butter-based scratch recipes. A WASC baked low and slow...
    As to the question as to what type of buttercream this is,  Eggs + Sugar in a double boiler, then whipped together to stiff peaks is how a Swiss Meringue is made.  Sugar and Water heated on the stove to make a syrup then poured into eggs whipped to a stiff peak is how an Italian Meringue is made.  Each is turned into a Meringue Buttercream when after they are stiff and glossy, butter or shortening is added to the mixture.    And to the OP--developing recipes that are...