Posts by lorieleann

I have done a few double barrels and i think they are a great look. I think your plan is on the right track, but I would suggest having the top and the bottom cake be the same height--just for serving east. If you can get each 'cake' to be 4" be it with torting and filling, two 2" cakes to get 4"-4.5".  That would be FOUR 2" high layers each cut in half for 4 layers of cake and three layers of filling on each cake.  This will give you nice size pieces for serving.  You...
how about buying it on Amazon and having it shipped directly to your friend's address.  Just may be cheaper and fresher than what you can find in a small shop.  
  uggg...that is horrible when it happens!  When you collar your pans, it really is to get a true 2" cake after it settles instead of actually extending a 2" pan to get a 3" layer.  The extra inch of parchment collar helps the cake climb up just enough so that when the hot cakes settles, it will exhale to being level with the top of the pan.  I find that WASC/box recipes don't have this process as much as your butter-based scratch recipes. A WASC baked low and slow...
    As to the question as to what type of buttercream this is,  Eggs + Sugar in a double boiler, then whipped together to stiff peaks is how a Swiss Meringue is made.  Sugar and Water heated on the stove to make a syrup then poured into eggs whipped to a stiff peak is how an Italian Meringue is made.  Each is turned into a Meringue Buttercream when after they are stiff and glossy, butter or shortening is added to the mixture.    And to the OP--developing recipes that are...
i like Fabbri Delipaste and Hero (food service).    European Imports LTD is the company i order thorugh via a local distributer.
    I was getting the Dawn sleeves at Pat's Cake and Party in Tucson.  Now I am mostly doing commercial food service ordering or online. (though i do hear that the store has reopened in a new location). 
1 cup of fat (butter or shortening) to 1 lb (4 cups) of powder sugar and 2 TBS liquid is a crusting buttercream.  As stated before, it is all about the ratio of fat to sugar. the more fat, the less crust you will get. the less fat you have, the more crust you will have, to the point of it being crumbly. The balance is finding the right ratio.  It also depends on your local humidity. A dry, arid envrionment is going to have a different effect on a cake than a humid rainy...
when i make ABC i use the SUgarShack method and recipe ratios, but I mix up the type of fat to 1/3-1/2 hi-ratio shortening to the rest butter.  One thing i have learned is to beat the hi-ratio first for about 4 minutes to loosen it up, then add in the butter to incorporate.  I find there is more volume this way.  I also am not a fan of the extensive ingredient list in powdered/liquid coffee creamer, so I will sub in warm half-and-half for the liquid.  
I love the Hero fruit jams for cake fillings and the Hero or the Delipaste compounds to add to SMBC for different flavors. There is too much inconsistency in fresh or frozen fruit to cook down to make fillings...these concentrated fruit products are the way to go IMO.  I used to use the Dawn (only brand that I liked) filling in 2 lb sleeves, but the local cake store I got them from closed for a bit.  I switched to the European imports and i'm not sure if i'll go back....
when delivering buttercream, i always carry a 'crash kit' that has a bag of buttercream, tools, and a few tips.  If you had something like this, you could have quickly taken off the smooshed icing and repiped the one dozen that were ruined.     Also, 2 dozen minis is a really, really small order. If you up your minimum for minis, you can find the number to make them fit in your existing packaging.  Sometimes you need to solve a problem backwards.