Posts by lorieleann

never heard of it. and with just asking for a credit card without having a free sample of the offerings is very suspect.  
  you weighed them. in grams even. i officially have a cake crush on you 
i tell customers how many servings I account for in each cake--and how big the slices are.  If they want to have bigger slices, or as I put it give guests a chance for seconds or to have leftovers, then they can order a larger cake.  I also take into account the height of the cake.  many of my non-tiered cakes can go upwards of 5" tall, so that can be taken into consideration for narrower servings. I also give a diagram on how to cut the cake to get those servings. If...
to me it looks like it has half as much fat as it should.  If you have a stand mixer, try doubling or tripling the recipe so that you have a full bowl so that the paddle doesn't pull air into the mixture. Look into the Sugar Shack method of making buttercream to see what i mean. there are youtube videos on the subject on keeping a full bowl for a creamy, no-air ABC. 
    the age old difference between positive reinforcement and negative reaction (ie. deposit will place your order vs. no deposit will cancel your order).  But Jason, when you used to own a bakery did you used to sell more volume of smaller, dessert type special diet cakes? (i'm trying to remember what you said when you had your kitchen open)  Or was the percentage of your business in larger, custom decorated cakes?  I wonder if the type of order, such as a milestone cake...
    I agree with this procedure, though I think that by calling it an 'order that can be cancelled without deposit' leaves the door more open for misinterpretation  on the customer's part than if you phrase it so that a 'deposit on your estimate will place the order'.  If you call it an order before the contract is signed and the deposit is made, then the line is blurred as to when the order becomes and order.  I like to keep all talk before money classified as estimates,...
i wouldn't do one unless it was ganache under fondant.  I don't do them enough to feel comfortable enough to do them in buttercream.    Like it has been said...you are the professional with the knowledge about construction and your abilities. Your niece needs to understand that there are limitations because of climate and materials. 
i think it depends a bit on how well you work with fondant and how thinly you can roll it out and smooth it.  If you can work with a good-quality fondant that is thin, then it may work, but if your fondant is closer to the 3/8 to 1/4" thick then that is probably going to cause troubles.    I suggest to either alternate the nougat filling with the buttercream or double fill a layer of nougat with a layer of the caramel buttercream.  I would split each cake so that...
pixlr express is also an online editor that allows you to add a watermark.  (option/alt + g is the © sign) 
sheeshhh...you guys are no fun.  I kinda like the idea of an angry, righteous cake mob tracking her and her family down like bounty hunters demanding payment.  Oh wait...this isn't Real Cakewives of Orange County, is it?       Seriously, i would open up a business account and deposit the checks.   And naturally you have already learned the lesson of getting payment ahead of time.