Posts by lorieleann

If I have a customer and they have an aversion to the sweetness of american buttercream, I give them the option of a meringue buttercream, or ganache and thin fondant. If they only want a whipped topping, I refer them to another baker.  Bettercreme isn't on my menu and it isn't going to be! We all have our niche markets, and mine doesn't include that product. 
I love the Fat Daddio's with the ball bearings.  I have the center spike Ateco and when there is considerable weight on it, it looses speed enough not to make a full revolution without another push/pull.  The FD one will keep turning.    I have the IKEA wood one, and I don't know if I have an off one, but I get a wobble and it isn't engineered to stay level. Not that I'd expect a >$10 turntable to be able to stand up to a level, but this is not a precision tool.
i wouldn't charge less for one, and I do think that they are an interesting look.  I did one as a dessert cake as part of a cake buffet, and I think it would look cool larger as a centerpiece cake (though with smaller tier heights). WHere as you don't have the time involved in decorating with an outer coat of buttercream, you have to take that time to perfectly bake and trim those layers so that each layer is the same color and not over browned. There is nothing to hide...
I live in So. AZ and prefer to use SMBC.  I find it easier to make and I get more reliable results (perhaps b/c i have logged more hours doing it the SM way?)  For heat stability, I have subbed out 1/2 of the butter with hi ratio shortening in the SMBC.     For ABC, i usually do 1/3 hi ratio to 2/3 butter.  I like to keep cakes cold for delivery and I also request that cakes not be kept out in the heat due to melting.    i think that what kind of heat/humidity...
yes.  with fresh strawberries macerated in honey whipped in.  But only a fresh strawberry cake. Not an artificial strawberry strawberry cake, that would be ewww. I would do a cream cheese buttercream with some tang in it to balance the faux strawberry flavor. 
I like music, but I don't appreciate classical compositions--and i surely won't spend the money on box seats to the symphony.  I'll stick to itunes or the radio.  I am not a connoisseur of live, classical music (the only live music I like involves dancing, swaying and having my shoes stick to the floor at the end of the night. Call me a bumpkin, but I'll stick to Cracker on the radio.    Box mix is the radio. Scratch baking is a live performance. (and like being a...
being a friend it gets a bit sticky, but since you don't have the option of canceling the order, you have to find a way to make it work (insert Tim Gund voice!). don't let her tell you how to add elements, but instead lead the conversation so that you ask her what elements she wants and then you find a way to add them to the cake.   I had my line in the sand moment with a cake that a customer designed themselves with orange and purple scrolls and starbursts with...
I ask for a deposit greater than the replacement cost of the item and have in the contract that the item is due back by the following wednesday.  I also make return arrangements before the wedding, and get a secondary contact person and the person who is in charge of the return. And the stand has to be returned in person (dropped of or we will meet)--no mailing of the stand. 
i think one of the most isolating things about this business are work hours.  The weekly schedule of baking and prepping while the kids are in school is great, but it's the Friday nights and Saturday schedule that kills me.  I have to aggressively protect at least one weekend a month to spend on those fun Saturday family events.  I hated having to miss so many Saturday morning soccer games or sending my husband to do the birthday parties because I had deliveries. (of...
our warehouse stores just have 50# bags at costco and 4lb bags of C&H at Sams.  I tried the paper wrap 50# and it was HORRIBLE.  I now buy cases of the 4# bags and am happy with it.  The size works well for my recipes.