Posts by lorieleann

you want to buy as high quality of chocolate that your market will bear to pay.  I think that you really can tell the difference.  In the grocery store, that may be getting the Extra Dark Giradhelli (sp?) REAL chocolate chips instead of the chocolate baking morsels (not real chocolate).  Or buying your chocolate in bulk in large baking bars (Trader Joes has nice Pound Plus bars). Or you may want to go through Restaurant Depot or an online order.  Because ganache is just...
Speaking to the need to 'feed many people' and that is why you need 3 tiers,  remember that you will need to cut larger slices out of a 2" cake to fill the plate than you will from a 4" high cake.     If you plan on serving each guest 8 cubic inches of cake, that is a 1" x 2" x 4" slice of cake or it is a 2" x 2" x 2" slice of cake. So technically to do 2" tiers, you would need MORE tiers to serve the same amount of guests.  And that would be just more work stacking...
i would say a cornflower blue (wilton) with a bit of black or forest green mixed in. It is quite muddy.  (also keep in mind that the color may have been adjusted via photo editing software.)  
  if you are covering with fondant, then the streaky butter isn't an issue.       I fully agree with AZCouture on the buttercream process:  you use the buttercream to build the cake out to the board, and keep it cold to help hold the shape while applying fondant.  I prefer to use a SMBC under fondant because it is just so easy to get nice crisp edges, but you can also get a nice, hard finish in the fridge with a 2/3 butter & 1/3 shortening blend in your American...
it could also have been someone with voice-mail stage fright or changing their mind about what they wanted to ask or not having had the answers to your questions, as far as cake size, date, etc.  If they thought that the phone was ringing in an empty storefront, they probably wouldn't think twice about hanging up and trying again.  
I have had a 4.5, 5, 6 qt. KA and a 7qt Cuisinart.  I really don't like the Cuisinart performance:  it's tall and doesn't fit under my upper cabinets to lift the bowl; the bowl only has two small handles on the top, making it hard to hold with one hand and scrape out with the other; I have disengaged the bowl with just a bit of pressure doing a scrape down; same thing with the beater, i have disengaged it with a small bump; the paddle will clump dry ingredients to it...
i would be very apprehensive personally because I have seen custom bakers get ripped to shreds on Yelp when a GroupOn is sold and then, because fulfillment has to be based on custom availability, the customer can't get the product when they want.  I saw reviews for one cake maker who looks to have done a Cupcake deal and was getting reamed for not answering the phone and having to leave a message,  and for not having cupcakes ready to go, and for not even having a store...
    in my world (welcome )  there is also glaze on donuts and bundt cakes.  The icing on cookies is much thicker than what is on a donut. I'll double dip with drying between on the sugar cookies so that there is an opaque coating that isn't sticky like a donut.  and royal is icing, too.  
i guess i always thought of icing as the powder sugar and milk thin paste that is drizzled on sugar cookies. Frosting is the thicker stuff that has the fat.  But while I will use the two words interchangeably for buttercream, i do not call the thin coating frosting. that is always icing.  I do think that it is a regional thing, and that the distinction is becoming lost. 
about $585-$625. (but it would also depend on what is on the inside--a basic 2 layer WASC with a plain buttercream filling would be less than that range.  Since i'm baking scratch with more expensive ingredients I charge accordingly).