Posts by lorieleann

I do a honey macerated fresh strawberry filling and it is wonderful. I normally do it for cupcakes, but i had a bride request it for a layer. I filled it and chill it hard just the night before delivery. had great feedback from the bride who said that after the party (they rented a ranch house and had it filled with friends and family for the wedding/reception) it was still delicious the next day, but the cake was a bit soggy around the berries (i don't think it was...
I made the 'off the can' Hershey's frosting recipe ( though wiht cocoa rouge) and it is a grainy mess.. Not at all like the glossy frosting that I got the first time. I was a bit less meticulous when adding the sugar and the milk, and the milk I used was heavy cream ( it was late and i didn't feel like going to the second fridge for a new carton of milk and the heavy cream was already out) . I'm glad is was just testing it for home use, but still... What gives? I...
in my gallery there is an all white wedding cake with a double high 10" tier. I used two 10" plates under it. I also knew that the rosettes would hide any plate overhang so using the 10" wasn't an issue, but even without the camouflage of the roses, it would have been fine.
I saw a new mixer today at Costco: A KA lift Bowl "professional" 6000 HD for $349. It is apparently a brand new machine made exclusively for costco that is in quality between the 600 series and the 7 qt Williams Sonoma. I talked to the service person and got the scoop on what the difference between the 600, the 6000HD and the 7 qt WS, and the what makes a machine NFS rated. Horse Power: the 600 is just under 1 horse power while the 6000HD is at 1 horse power and the WS...
i think your best answer is going to be to do a small test cake and set it out in like conditions. I'm not sure what your humidity is going to be like there in July, but depending on how the cake will be transported, i'd be concerned with the SMBC. I think if you piped in chocolate it would be fine. But a test cake would be the way to find out for sure.
i have my FB page on a button under my avi photo. You can also get to my website through FB. I do have flavors posted and a few tabs. It's funny, my husband is a designer (and very busy with work and freelance) but the most i've been able to get out of him is a logo and business cards! He says that he's going to build me a cooler website soon, but right now this is clean and getting the job done. My website is a mac template that he spruced up and it is really...
try checking with the national company of the products you want to use and get the name of the local distributer. There should be a company that handles a gourmet line with products from several different company. (at least in my area there is. but they don't carry dawn fillings, and that is one that i want so it is on my to do list to contact dawn and get the name of the local)
I went from having a blog with cakes that friends enjoyed looking at to having a business Facebook page. I do list flavors and prices in my info tab, and i do have a page on my website with 'pricing starts at' for sizes, party cakes and wedding cakes. I really didn't want to get into quoting and quoting and waiting and not hearing back if a custom cake didn't fit into someone's budget. It has always been a pet peeve of mine for businesses not to at least have a ball park...
i sure have! I haven't gone really big with it, but up to a 9" two layer. The chocolate is a great recipe and has been around long before 'eating vegan' was a common variation. The banana cake is our go-to family birthday cake because it is so yummy and everyone can eat it (my husband doesn't like chocolate). I do suggest you test out the recipe first before you just make it for the order. Just to get a feel for it. And definitely work with very cold layers when...
my 3D cakes start at $175, and a specific monster truck that requires more attention to detail in paint and design than a generic 4 x 4, would be $225-250. Most of that price is for the time and extra materials and construction of the cake board to make the platform for the truck to appear jumping. 3D cakes also aren't my favorite things to do, so i price accordingly if the full sculpted price is too much, i'd have a plan B of making a RKT Grave Digger for $40 and put...