Posts by lorieleann

try checking with the national company of the products you want to use and get the name of the local distributer. There should be a company that handles a gourmet line with products from several different company. (at least in my area there is. but they don't carry dawn fillings, and that is one that i want so it is on my to do list to contact dawn and get the name of the local)
I went from having a blog with cakes that friends enjoyed looking at to having a business Facebook page. I do list flavors and prices in my info tab, and i do have a page on my website with 'pricing starts at' for sizes, party cakes and wedding cakes. I really didn't want to get into quoting and quoting and waiting and not hearing back if a custom cake didn't fit into someone's budget. It has always been a pet peeve of mine for businesses not to at least have a ball park...
i sure have! I haven't gone really big with it, but up to a 9" two layer. The chocolate is a great recipe and has been around long before 'eating vegan' was a common variation. The banana cake is our go-to family birthday cake because it is so yummy and everyone can eat it (my husband doesn't like chocolate). I do suggest you test out the recipe first before you just make it for the order. Just to get a feel for it. And definitely work with very cold layers when...
my 3D cakes start at $175, and a specific monster truck that requires more attention to detail in paint and design than a generic 4 x 4, would be $225-250. Most of that price is for the time and extra materials and construction of the cake board to make the platform for the truck to appear jumping. 3D cakes also aren't my favorite things to do, so i price accordingly if the full sculpted price is too much, i'd have a plan B of making a RKT Grave Digger for $40 and put...
FWIW, I don't think you have any obligation (business, moral or otherwise) to explain to the customer why your prices for a carved cake have changed--or to admit a rookie mistake. You sold the lightening cake at a lower price than you should have and you re-examined your pricing structure, or you want to charge more to fund a vacation to Hawaii...all the customer needs to know is that your prices have changed/increased. Sometimes when in uncomfortable situations I tend to...
I think that the other posters have offered a good response to her along the lines of costs being what they are for 3D cakes (and that she didn't specify a 3D cake) and that you provided a cake that fit in her $80 budget. The problem here is not your quality of work or the price, it is what she expected from you based on her previous cake which was sold at a discount. I also think that the offer of a discount on her next order is a nice gesture considering that there was...
I have had really good results with recipes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. My little boy is allergic to eggs, nuts, and seeds so learning to bake vegan was a necessity. Be sure to follow the recipe to the letter--most substitutions unless noted to do not work. Also, if you use margarine instead of oil, make sure to get vegan margarine. the chocolate cupcake is wonderful and my second favorite is the banana cake. The Golden Vanilla is pretty okay, but you have...
I have a 5qt KA Artisan and I regularly burn out the top 4 speeds when it overheats making a full bowl of american buttercream. I got a 7qt Cuisinart and while it has the muscle to do the work, I don't like how the beater works in the bowl (it doesn't go as throughly as the KA and I haven't figured out how to make it a tighter fit), so i'm not totally happy with that either. I want the action of the KA in a large countertop mixer but with the mechanicals of KA 20 years...
i agree with the previous posters about contacting her at your final notice date and giving her 24 hours to respond and pay with cash. I also don't think there is anything wrong about being sorry or apologizing for the order not working out. Your 'no cost to you' apology can be for her not getting cake, her being a poor planner, not having money when she needed to make the order, and for the general disappointment of her not getting one of your awesome cakes. WIthout...
my ganache recipe is the 2:1 for dark chocolate to cream. And I use the food processor For example, i will measure by weight 14 oz of 60 % cacao dark chips and put in the food processor. Then I heat 7 oz by weight of heavy cream to a boil (it happens so quickly!) then pour the hot cream into the FP bowl. Cover and let sit 2 minutes. Then I turn it on and the magic of machinery do the rest. Scrape out of the FP into a another bowl and let sit overnight. I do find that...