Posts by lorieleann

just pointing out a little irony here.  In essence, you are kinda instructing the other poster how she "should" be responding to a post.  If the moderators feel that there is a breech in forum etiquette, they will address it.  Personally, I saw no issue with how she voiced her opinion.    --and i'm fully aware of the irony in my pointing that out ;) 
 I do 90% full delivery and rarely will have pick ups, but I do sell cakes to long-distance clients who are meeting me in town and then they drive it out to their house. I don't buy into the once it is out of my hands, it isn't my problem school of thought.  I am selling a cake that will have to travel, I have a responsibility to construct it so that it will get there, if I am driving it or someone else.   My personal rules for cake construction for safe delivery:  ....
What do you mean that they are stacking it themselves? You aren't going to be putting the tiers together at the venue?  Honestly, that seems a disaster in the making if they aren't totally familiar with stacking with the SPS system and getting the cake board right on the little spike.    I though that the florist was bringing oasis foam and she thought we were using a big blob of buttercream.  I *just* had enough buttercream to put the stems into and to help prop up...
i think she is looking for a 'wedding experience' instead of reviewing the information she already has to make a informed decision. With her Bride Goggles on she probably thinks this is a very reasonable request, as it is for Her Special Day, and thought that it wouldn't hurt to ask.  But just as she can ask, you can say no to the request.    If you want to give her 'the experience" to book the order, then can you do up variations on your vanilla cake and variations...
for the flowers to be like the flowers in the photo you like, you would need to get gumpaste roses and filler.  If you aren't up to making all those roses, then you can buy them from places like cal java online (or others). If you want to use fresh flowers, like Anna said, you need to have full roses.  The problem with big fresh flowers is that once they blow open, they are just about ready to shed pedals (unlike fresh garden roses that bloom open and are still vibrant...
i used the SPS with the extra tall legs. It was very stable.  I did stack on site though and worked with the florist to put in 14 dozen roses and peonies.  (pic is in my gallery, the one under a tent) A combo on the SPS leg heights for the different tiers could give you a good structure. 
she has some serious stones for thinking she can stiff the boss's daughter.  I hope that presenting the invoice, again, and again, and again until you get payment will work.  I wouldn't normally think to hit her in her personal life for a business transaction, but I wonder if your mum could offer her overtime or make a comment or two about her knowing that she had unpaid wedding bills.    At least you have reason to go by her place of work to hand deliver invoices...
i pre-chill my car and then travel with the cake in a new cardboard brown shipping box. I plan out what side of the car the sun will be shining though for the majority of the drive and then put the cake where it will get as most shade as possible. I am usually driving west for deliveries, so that helps quite a bit.   For long distance deliveries, I have built a false bottom, half-box for the box to sit into that i have lined with ice packs and beach towels, creating...
are you getting to the point where you are telling her that there won't be an adjustment for the fewer servings?  I would probably lead with that, then explain the why.     And i think this is right decision.  In the future, perhaps price out 3D cakes by the project to avoid this bartering over price.  I do believe that she and her friends are enjoying negotiating the price down with you (especially since you have done it for their circle in the past, free delivery,...
is your almond cake a very strong almond?  Has she tasted all these flavors together?  I don't think that it is a horrible combination (say like mint chocolate and carrot cake), but it is different.  I would probably still back off my almond on the almond cake so that it is just a hint of flavor, but mostly vanilla.  And that would be a CMA move should other potential customers be at the party and be confused by the combo.     When i do tastings, i will often explain...