Posts by lorieleann

I always fridge my cakes, buttercream and fondant. always. like AZ said, put it in a box and just let the condensation evaporate while it comes to room temp.  
 it does! that's how i freeze my buttercream.  I also do this with little baggies of colored buttercream that i might just need a little touch of.  I file them upright then in a box. 
One of the beauties of SMBC is that you work with it at room temp, then chill it up hard to smooth and get very sharp corners--with or without covering with fondant.  I keep my SMBC cakes chilled hard after finishing and they are very stable for transportation to the venue then thaw out by time it is to serve.  when working with SMBC the temperature are used as a tool. 
If you or your family don't appreciate the taste difference in scratch baking and prefer the box/doctored box recipes, and you don't feel a personal challenge in mastering scratch baking--then box is what you should bake.  For me, I had some horrible scratch cakes when I first started baking regularly, and I stayed with doctored box mixes for the consistency and for the better quality than what I could produce.  But the baking of a perfect scratch cake (and having an...
I think the condensation going from freezer to countertop made a slick surface for the rosettes to stick to. Also not being chilled hard overnight is going to make everything unstable once it is driven to the venue. (just the vibration of being in a car going over roads can mess with an unchilled cake).  Those rosettes are heavy and need a little extra consideration to stay up there. 
use fondant or start with a dark chocolate buttercream and darken from there. 
    just pointing out a little irony here.  In essence, you are kinda instructing the other poster how she "should" be responding to a post.  If the moderators feel that there is a breech in forum etiquette, they will address it.  Personally, I saw no issue with how she voiced her opinion.    --and i'm fully aware of the irony in my pointing that out ;) 
 I do 90% full delivery and rarely will have pick ups, but I do sell cakes to long-distance clients who are meeting me in town and then they drive it out to their house. I don't buy into the once it is out of my hands, it isn't my problem school of thought.  I am selling a cake that will have to travel, I have a responsibility to construct it so that it will get there, if I am driving it or someone else.   My personal rules for cake construction for safe delivery:  ....
What do you mean that they are stacking it themselves? You aren't going to be putting the tiers together at the venue?  Honestly, that seems a disaster in the making if they aren't totally familiar with stacking with the SPS system and getting the cake board right on the little spike.    I though that the florist was bringing oasis foam and she thought we were using a big blob of buttercream.  I *just* had enough buttercream to put the stems into and to help prop up...
i think she is looking for a 'wedding experience' instead of reviewing the information she already has to make a informed decision. With her Bride Goggles on she probably thinks this is a very reasonable request, as it is for Her Special Day, and thought that it wouldn't hurt to ask.  But just as she can ask, you can say no to the request.    If you want to give her 'the experience" to book the order, then can you do up variations on your vanilla cake and variations...