Posts by lorieleann

Just wanted to point out that the stripes on the cakes aren't fondant. Those vertical stripes are done in buttercream.   The fondant cakes that are in the wedding cake gallery are just about flawless. The buttercream wedding cakes are also pretty amazing with scrolls and piping that has a signature style. Perhaps the cakes that are in the case for cash and carry have a less perfect finish than the wedding cakes that start at $6 or $5 a slice, but I'm sure that those pre...
 This ^^^   I bet the original designer of that cake couldn't reproduce it exactly either.  The piping is too organic and there are too many details to get exactly the same.  And that photographer comment.  That right there would be enough to make me turn down the order. If you have the quality in your work, then you will have the customers to book at weekend--maybe not as elaborate or high ticket of an order, but something less stressful. 
 good luck with it! 
i have entitled family members who would never pay more than $0.99 for a box mix let alone for a custom cake.  I once did a joint birthday cake for two of the cousins, and charged what I thought was a nominal 'pay what you can' price of $25.  She had to call me on the way over to see how much again it was b/c they hadn't cashed their paycheck and didn't have money and could they post date a check?  I gifted it, as it was already a 80% discount, what's that extra $25?  Then...
I don't do home pick ups as a rule.  I don't want people coming to my house, and I much prefer to make deliveries on my own time rather than sitting and waiting for someone to show up.  We also live on the far edge of town and in a rural neighborhood without streetlights with the houses about an acre apart. But my business is leaning 80% towards wedding and tiered cakes where delivery is a must and the price point of the cake makes it worth while.  Delivery is included...
saying that you are allergic to buttercream is like saying you're allergic to soup.     I'd steer clear and become booked for this order.  Unless you want to be known as the cake lady who uses can frosting. 
I bake the way AZCouture does with the collared pans, with two 2" cakes (though sometimes they end up more of 1 5/8", but then I do torte for four layers of cake and three layers of filling.  I don't like a huge amount of filling, so I keep the height of the fillings low. I end up with 4 3/4-5" tiers. 
I always chill my cakes hard before traveling--fondant and buttercream. But I do live in an arid climate that doesn't have much of a problem with condensation.  There are many threads on how to reduce condensation by chilling in the box, and wrapping the cake box before chilling even.    Since we don't know your climate or traveling temperatures, how about you do a test of one cake in the car at room temp in a box, and one chilled solid in a box. THey don't have to be...
i would push her to tell you what exactly the "allergy" is as far as ingredients go and how severe the allergy is.  It really seems like she is using the word "allergy" to mean preference (something that is really annoying to moms like me who actually have to deal with real allergies with their children). As in "I'm allergic to doing dishes."    If there is a true allergy, then you need to know what it is so that you can review all of your ingredients in your recipes,...
I have found that about 10% of requests for quotes are for carved cakes.  I have positioned myself as a wedding cake baker, and have done some sculptural work, but for the most part, people want the 3D cake, but do not want to pay for it.  I list my minimum for 3D work on my website, so perhaps that keeps the requests down.  I think your carved, novelty cakes are going to be more in demand in markets that can support that level of luxury purchase, ie your larger cities or...