Posts by Justforfun751

Thanks all for your help. My friend and I are fine. She did pay me for the ingredients and we laugh about it now. We now know to make sure we are either talking event date or delivery date.
Thanks again Christine. I did tell her about the mix up when I dropped off the cake and have seen her once since (picking up kids at school). I am going to tell her what it cost me and see what she does.Cakery2012 - I guarantee that in the future I will confirm DATE and TIME with anyone I make anything for. I usually do anyway, but she was in such a whirlwind that it was hard to pin her down. NO EXCEPTIONS anymore.
Thanks for your honesty ChristineCMC. It is always hard to admit fault when you feel like it harmed someone else. Guess I need to work on pinning people down (never have been good at that over the phone).Thanks again,Susan
My first real cake disaster. I was making a confirmation cake for a good friend. She talked to me about it a month in advance, wanting it to be a two layer full size dark chocolate sheet cake with a generous amount of cookies and cream filling, iced and then have a fondant robe, stole, and gumpaste carnation. I agree to make it if she pays me back for the ingredients. Easy, have done this for her for a baby shower cake before...Friend is a really busy mom who I didn't...
I use the plastic Wilton bags, couplers, and tips as they are most available and least expensive. I have a few PME tips that I love, as they do not have a seam. I've never used a syringe, as I was taught using bags. I would think that using a syringe would not give me as much control as a bag? (probably just what you are used to!)I like to use icing plugs when doing a lot of piping with an assortment of colors or when icing cookies. There are a lot of references to...
I gave a friend of mine a bottle of Duff's silver spray and she also ran into the same problem. She'll be glad to see that it wasn't her. Hope they change their minds and pull it rather than have defective products ruin their reputation... but maybe it is already too late for that?
Love how organized it all is! Great job & congrats!
I'm not an expert, but some people use a kopykake projector. Some people lightly stencil the pattern, outline, then flood their cookies. There are also a ton of great tutorials out there. Here's a few of my favorite cookie websites: http://cookiecrazie.blogspot.com/ ...
Some people saran wrap, some don't. In my experience, the saran wrap doesn't really make any difference when taking off dried royal icing or fondant. I would not use buttercream underneath, as it is perishable, but maybe others do? I prefer to use a small amount of piping gel to get the fondant to stick.
I like my Wilton one just fine (price was right for the amount of caking that I do) - gave away my wooden one for the same reasons as Claire 138. I also agree about the rings - they seem to get in my way more than help. When I roll cookie dough, I just use dowels to make the dough even. If you are really worried about track marks from your fondant being wider than the rolling pin, I've heard of people who use a piece of plastic pipe cut to the required length. Never...