Posts by lish1904

#10 is one of my biggest. Just last weekend I had a customer show up 1.5 hour late for picking up a cake. After she wanted it ready for 3, and I texted her at 2:05p telling her it was ready. She responds a little before 3 saying she would be there around 4, and she shows up at 5:30! I was beyond livid. And she didn't even bother to send any follow up texts saying she was late. Needless to say I didn't feel bad for falling asleep and missing her calls/texts for 10 mins....
Hi - So a customer told me that her cake was on the dry side and I'm totally perplexed by this. She and her guests raved about the decorations but because there was a problem with the cake, I'm so upset.   I have never had any problems with the recipe. It is the Martha Stewart Devils Food chocolate cake. I've made it several times, keeping it in the fridge to stay moist, up to 4 days before eating and it was still moist. The only difference with this cake is that it...
Hi!My job is having it's annual charity cupcake sale and taste-off this week. I wont last year and so now i feel a lot of pressure to win this year I know I'm going to submit my carrot cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. But I don't know what to do for decorations. Because my winner last year was so elaborate they changed the rules that 12 cupcakes must be decorated the same way. So I can't/don't want to do anything toooo elaborate, but I want something good.I'm...
Dang! Thanks for the info
Hi,I need to make SMBC and none of the grocery stores have unsalted butter. Will it come out okay with salted butter?Thanks!
OK. new approach!If you have written a business plan, did you not include data about the customized cake market? or the wedding cake industry? Maybe I can make an argument to my teacher that other business owners didn't need this information when trying to get a loan from a bank. To me it does seem like the business plan for a customized cake business would be different than any other business. So I am just curious as to what information is/was necessary for you to get...
Hi,I am trying to write a business plan for school. I'm taking a Entrepreneurship class because I know that it will help later in life when I want to open my own bakery. Now my problem is it that I can't find information specifically dealing with wedding cake sales and customized cake sales. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction about where I can find this kind of information. If it matters, I plan on opening my bakery in the San Antonio, TX area. Also,...
NCdiva- I actually thought about NC, but was unsure of their laws. Thx for the info. Ive never visited but I've heard its a nice state.
I'm loving everyone's posts! The more I read the more I want a home based business. I told my husband we have to retire somewhere that allows me to have a seperate shop on our land. The option of having your own business and being flexible how you choose is great.
That's another good point cfao about your parent's busines. Even though they were pulling in more money they had to give out more. There is no right or wrong answer to my question, but I like hearing the pros and cons. I admire business owners so much because it is such a scary venture. All the time, money, sweat, & tears you pour into it with no guarantee it will succeed. But at the same time I would hate to go through life wondering What If?