Posts by cai0311

Try a test run to see how the cupcakes bake on the top and bottom rack of the oven. The results of the test run will allow to figure how long baking will take (1 rack vs 3 racks). I would make the faces the beginning of the week you need them. 200 of those is going to take quite a LONG time. Maybe you could do a couple dozen with that design and the rest with a swirl. As for storage, you will need to keep them in a non sealed container. A sealed container will make...
Freezing the cupcakes will cause the cookie to soften during the thawing process because of condensation. So the cookie won't be crunchy, but I don't think that will ruin the cupcake. I bake all my cupcakes 1-2 days before they are needed. I store them in clam shell containers. They stay very moist in those containers. Plus you can stack the containers 3 deep, so transport is easy.
The difference between buttercream and royal icing is the same as the difference between cotton balls and concrete. Totally different mediums, reasons to use each type of icing and ingredients.
I use the 15 second rule for my royal icing. Any stiffer and it breaks on me too.
 I know this post is over a month old, but I had to comment on the above post.I delivered hundereds of cakes - most of them wedding cakes - in the trunk of my tiny Suzuki car. I just put the back seats down so the air conditioner blasted cold air into the trunk. I also chilled all my cakes overnight before delivery so they were cool when I put them in the trunk.I have yet to lose a cake.
Next time you might want to try ganache under the fondant instead of buttercream. Ganache works so much better under the weight of fondant.
I had "mini cakes" at my wedding. I put mini in " " because the baker made them 4" x 4" x 4" square cakes! Anyway... now that I decorate cakes, I cannot imagine how much work that must have been for her. I have had a couple brides ask me for a quote on mini cakes. I always quote high enough they won't book with me
For dowels, I use plastic bubble tea straws. They work really well even on large cakes.
I use white chocolate ganache as the icing on all my fondant covered cakes. The great part about white chocolate is the lack of color. So if you have to rip the fondant off a tier (and you will have to at some point) the fondant doesn't have a dark chocolate color on the underside. So when you wad it up to roll back out, the color of the fondant is not affected.
The brand of fondant you use can make a huge difference in the final results. I use white chocolate ganache under my fondant. For me, it is so much easier to cover a cake iced in ganache than white chocolate.