Posts by cai0311

I have a home bakery in Ohio. I offer complimentary consultations to anyone ordering a cake (or cupcakes) over 70 servings. I do not allow the client to pick the flavors or fillings they will try because I offer so many options I would have to bake for each consultation. Whenever I have extra batter I bake a cake out of it, cut that cake into 1" x 1" pieces, freeze the pieces and use them for the consultations. I take the cake out of the freezer 30 minutes before the...
They are the same in the sense that they are both shortening. So, for the purpose you are using it, they are interchangeable.I use Sweetex for my icing and Crisco for my cream cheese icing. I don't see any reason to use the expensive shortening when it isn't neccesary.
"Cathy" contacted me through wedding wire. I knew right away it was a scam but I decided to play along. I told her if she paid in cash I would except the order. I get a long email back and of course nothing is mentioned about cash but about paying by credit card. I email back "I only accept cash. Besides, your email is plastered all over the internet as a scam. All scam emails sound the same, get a new format." So yesterday I get an text message from "Cathy" claiming...
I received the same request from Wedding Wire and the same response from the person when I ask for more info. I told them no problem, I need to to be paid in full in cash by Thursday at 5:00 pm. Haven't heard back yet...
I just trimmed the extra fondant away. Something is needed on the top of the cake - flower or topper of some sort.
If you read the comments under that picture I posted how I made the pleats.
I deliver cakes in the trunk of my tiny car. I can only fit a 3 tier cake and, of course, almost all my wedding cakes are 4 tiers. I stack the bottom 3 tiers like normal and dowel them all together. Then when I get to the venue all I have to do is plop the top tier (usually 6") on the cake. Then I wrap with ribbon or pipe a border and am out of there in no time at all.
First off, I don't live alone, I am married.Second, there was no name or number on the email. Which isn't all that rare. I get several emails a month reading "I need a cake in August, can you do that?". No date, name, guest count...I like the idea of asking for a phone number to confirm details. I only offer consultations on orders of 80 servings more, so that would be my way out.
The only reason I thinking this may not be a scam is because two days ago I received a phone call just before 10:00 pm asking about a cake. The person calling spoke very broken english and it was difficult to explain that everything I do is for custom orders.The conversation went like this:Caller: Is your shop still open?Me: I have a licensed home bakery not a shop, did you want to place an order?Caller: I want to stop by to get cake.Me: All my orders/pick ups are by...
There are tons and tons of posts on this very topic. Some people say you cannot ever put a fondant covered cake in a refrigerator, others claim you can... It is a never ending discussion. I use Fondarific fondant. I put my fondant covered cakes in the refrigerator all the time without any problems. The fondant does harden some, but since it is a really soft fondant to begin with, I don't see it as a problem.