Posts by cai0311

Now, if she stopped payment before she received the cake - or really served the cake since her complaint is the cake and not the late delivery - that is a whole different story. If that is the case I would point it out to her and ask what is going on. I am all for holding someone's feet to the fire if they are lying and I can prove it.
If I read everything correctly you baked a cake for a Friday delivery assuming the cake would be eaten that same day. But the client didn't serve the cake until Sunday. So, the cake was delivered to the client who then kept the cake for two days. The client's brother then had a restaurant serve the cake which was supposed to be discovered as hard and dry.   My 2 cents... Did you ask the date of the party or just for a delivery date? Was there anything in an...
The neck isn't difficult at all. The bottle will shape the fondant neck for you.
I have made a cake exactly like this before. It was so easy. This is what I did: 5 days before the cake was needed I took a thin piece of black rolled fondant and draped it over a wine bottle that was laying on its side. Then I trimmed the fondant all the way around the bottle half way down the bottle. This way when the fondant bottle was laying on the cake it looked like exactly half the bottle was out of the packing. Remember to dust the side of the fondant the bottle...
FromScratchSF, I have had a listing on the knot for a couple years now and it has served me very well.  I am sure it does help that because of my location I am on 2 of their demographic areas.  Be sure to have brides review your knot profile.  Reviews help so much.   Also, I only get a couple leads directly through the knot but when I ask a bride where she found me (I always ask this at the consultation) about 1/3 tell me the knot.  And that is usually followed...
I wouldn't do anything until contacted. For all you know the person that picked up the cake slammed on the brakes, cake went flying and told the client what happened - that it was not your fault. Could explain why you haven't heard from the client. Make sure you have all pick ups (even non tiered cakes) sign a release form releasing you of any responsibility of damage after pick up. Also, I hammer a sharpened wooden dowel down the center of all my cakes. Did you have a...
When people contact me for a wedding cake and want a ball park price I always give them one. It is a ball park price so it is subject to change depending in the specifics and I make that clear. I have a start price for buttercream and fondant covered cakes. I just tell people "buttercream iced cakes START at $4 per serving but things like sugar flowers and detailed piping will have an additional design fee". I would hate to contact someone for a general price and be told...
I roll my fondant to 1/16" which helps eliminate cracking. I use either fondarific brand or Massa something (can't remember the exact name). Both are so easy to work with and actually taste good.
All my fondant covered cakes have white chocolate as the icing. I use white chocolate because chocolate doesn't work with every flavor but white chocolate does (just like buttercream). Also, if I have to take take the fondant of the tier white chocolate doesn't discolor the fondant and I can reuse it.
I have done 2 cakes of a similar design and 1 of them was a total of 9 tiers. Both of the cakes were buttercream, so it is possible. Here are my suggestions: 1. The "riser" tiers should be made out of styrofoam. 2. The "riser" tiers are best if they are only 1" smaller than the tier sitting on it. For example if the cake tiers are 10" and 8" the "riser" tier should be 7". 3. The shorter the "riser" the better. The first time I made a cake like this the spacers were 2"...