Posts by cai0311

Facebook and Instagram are very poor forms of advertising. I have never had a facebook nor an Instagram account (shocking, I know) so if i was googling bakers and your facebook page came up I wouldn't even click on the link. You need a website, business cards and know your target client. I make mostly wedding cakes. I have free listings on every wedding related I can find and I pay for a spot on The Knot. Some have not had success on The Knot, but for me it has been...
I do both box and scratch baking. If asked (which is pretty common) I honestly reply both - that it depends on the cake. I have only had 2 wanted to know which cakes were which. I replied "well, you just tasted 6 of my cakes - can you tell me which is which?". Neither could and they dropped the questioning. I don't charge for tastings. In my area free tastings are the norm. But, to make this possible I don't bake fresh for each tasting. I bake small cakes with left...
I refrigerate all my fondant covered cakes. Chilled cakes travel much better, so I only deliver my cakes completely chilled. I have a second fridge just for cakes. If you begin baking a lot you may want to look into this.
I iced all my fondant covered in white chocolate ganache. I tell clients it is similar to buttercream because white chocolate does not have a strong flavor, like buttercream, so any cake/filling combo they pick will go well with the icing.
Sharon's Sugar Shack recipe will also hold up to the heat. I use it on all my cakes. I think it was two years ago I had a 5 tier cake in June for an outside. Temp was about 90 degrees (record breaking heat that day). Everything was...
The fondat will be fine for the year it will take you to use it up. Just make sure you store it properly (cool, dry location).
I hate making my own fondant. It is so messy and time consuming. I purchase: http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/505023/1-ENRO.html I have used several different brands and this is my favorite. It is pricy but you can roll it so thin that you use less than other brands. So, in the end the price based of use is the same as the cheaper brands.
What size is the cake you posted? I am assuming it is an 8" round. My price breakdown: $4.50/serving for fondant/ganache cake = 24 servings x $4.5 = $108 Topper = $35 Grand total = $143 Stay off facebook for that kind of info. That would be like going to a home show and asking how much a car should cost. You need to go where people with knowledge of the field are - like cakecentral.
I quit using buttercream under fondant because it just doesn't seam to hold up to the weight of fondant. I always use white chocolate ganache. Also, roll your fondant very thin (I like mine to me 1/16" thick). And, let your cakes settle once filled overnight. That will help the roll at the bottom the tier issue.
My timeline for a Saturday wedding iced with buttercream: Wednesday - bake all cake tiers, make fillings and buttercream for dam Thursday - tort and fill all tiers Friday - make buttercream, ice, chill iced cakes for an hour or so, stack/decorate Saturday - deliver cake 2 hours before reception starts (or ceremony if at same location/room) My timeline for a Saturday wedding coved with fondant: Wednesday - bake all cake tiers, make fillings and buttercream for dam Thursday...