Posts by cai0311

We had 65 people.  That was 63 people to many in my opinion :)   But on topic now... I would suggest a cake that fits the venue size - in this case a 16" round, 14" round, 12" round, 10" round, 8" round and 6" round to feed 308 (according to wilton) and 16" round kitchen cakes for the remaining servings.  This also makes it easy to adjust the cake quantity without affecting the design agreed upon.  If 100 people RSVP they can't come, all you have to do is eliminate...
My recipe is a ratio of 1 cup shortening for every pound (roughly 4 cups) powdered sugar.
I have yet to loose a cake (thankfully), this is what I do/use: I use bubble tea straws for support in each tier and 2 wooden dowels hammered all the way though the cake (false security or no, I like my wooden dowels). All my cakes are delivered fully chilled (I think this makes a big difference)
I was thinking the same as indydebi, the fat/sugar ratio could be the cause. I know if I don't have enough fat (or too much sugar depending on how you look at it) my buttercream will crack once the cake has been iced.
I have a convection oven at home that has the option of regular bake and convection bake. If I select convection bake I punch in the temp I would use for regular baking and the temp is automatically adjusted (lower by 25 degrees). When I had just a regular oven I baked my cakes at 325 degrees. With the convection bake I punch in 375 degrees, the temp is automatically lowered to 350 degrees, and I get the same results (moist cake, no "hump"). I have NOT noticed the baking...
I have a licensed home bakery, so my tastings are held at my house. I have books and magazines with cake pictures to look at. I also have 2 photo albums of pictures of cakes I have done out. The license for my bakery and my knot and wedding wire awards. I have a note pad and pen for notes and a contract printed in case the brides decides to book on the spot (I don't have the contract out because I don't want to look presumptuous). I also set up decorated cake dummies...
First of all, it is not your fault the cake was dropped by the venue employees. But, that being said, there is always a risk of a cake being dropped everytime it is moved. As the professional I think you should have either insisted on the cake being covered in fondant, refused the order (if the bride won't budge) or have a summertime buttercream that can handle the heat. I use SugarShack's recipe and it can handle anything summer throws at it. I highly recommend using...
I list starting prices on my website. This helps weed out poeple that are looking for cake but can't/won't pay a starting price of $4/serving for buttercream and $4.50/serving for fondant (my current starting prices).
I use clamshell containers just like any other bakery. I buy them in bulk from paper mart. You can reuse them if you want. I can stack the containers 3 deep in my trunk. They work amazing and look professional.
I never use a heating core on any cake - even when I bake a 16" round cake. But I always bake at 325 degrees. Make sure the cake is completely done before removing it from the oven. If a cake isn't 100% baked it will sink in the middle after removed from the oven.