Posts by cai0311

I think it is easier for a bride to remember a bakery than a florist at a bridal show.  Food is more memorable than a bouqet.  I pass out mini cupcakes at the bridal show in the flavors: Champagne cake with strawberry buttercream Chocolate cake with mint buttercream Pumpkin cake with buttcream (standard flavor buttercream)   All the other bakeries just pass out white cake or chocolate cake with buttercream.  I have so many brides come up to my booth saying "I...
I have a licensed home bakery also.  I have found that word of mouth really is the best form of advertizing -  plus it is free.   Do you have a website?  In today's modern age, a website is a must.  Keep it updated with new pictures as your portfolio grows and take down pictures of any cakes that do not reflect your currect abilities (meaning the cakes that at one time looked great to you, but 50 cakes later you realize there are a lot of flaws in those first several...
I refrigerate 100% of my cakes, including all my fondant covered cakes.  I have never had an issue.   I know some have posted problems with condensation, I just don't my cake after I take it out for the fridge until it is dry.  Not once has any icing bled, changed color, smeared...
I don't think you have to worry about any "fall out" from you refusing to take the order.  You will have to worry about "fall out" from all the cakes you have due that week if you take another order (knowing you are already booked) and can't finish something or run late.   I would call the person  - phone calls allow the person to hear the concern in your voice/no room for misinterpetation from reading something wrong in an email. If you don't have their number,...
  I have found the exact opposite to be the case.  In 2012 I have made about 45 cakes (around 40 weddings and the rest other occasions).  I can only think of 2 brides that picked one of their tiers to be yellow cake; neither bride had regular buttercream filling (one had pineapple and one had cherry).  Now, chocolate is a regular option brides pick, but I haven't done any this year of a chocolate/regular buttercream combo.  I have had a lot of chocolate with raspberry,...
I offer a total of 40 different cake flavors and fillings.  This really helps me stand out against my compitition.   The down side is I packed on 24 lbs. because of all the sampling while I perfected my recipes.   As for pricing, I hate feeling like I am being nickeled and dimed, so I offer all the cake flavors and fillings for the same base price.  I make more on some recipes and less on others, but in the end it evens out and customers like not having to figure...
So what happened the day the client wanted the cake?  Did she try to collect a cake?
I think image is just printed on edible paper, cut (most likely "punched out" with a book scrapping puncher thing), then attached to fondant (I would use piping to attach).
Some bakeries, like AZCouture, offer a comlimentary 4" or 6" cake on the couple's 1 year anniversary. The cake is not prepaid, because it is complimentary.  And in some instances, the couple forgets about the offer after a year.   I use to offer a complimentary 6" round on a couple's 1 year anniversary.  They had to contact me 2 weeks before they wanted to pick up the cake (everything is made to order, so I wanted time to make sure I had what I needed to make their...
I charge a base price for fondant covered cakes and then the extras are priced separately, this way a client can pick and choose the amount of extras that fit in their budget. For flowers I first do a search online to see what the "going rate" is if I purchased the flowers. Then, I decide if I want to make the flower or just buy it. Sometimes if the flower is not one I would make again I can buy it already done for the same price or less than the cutter/veiner. I...