Posts by CakesbyCarla

How many letters are in the child's name? Will it fit easily where 'moshi' is in the logo?   I would design it either by hand or using Word art or photoshop or similar program.   Then print out the template the exact size you want it for the cake, cut it out and lay it over your rolled out fondant.  Cut out the shape with an exacto knife and then paint it with either food coloring gel mixed with vodka or use straight airbrush colors to paint with (if you have...
I'm not aware of a DVD or tutorial that just goes over dusting (but then again I've never done looking for one either so there might be). But Edna de la Cruz's DVD on making gumpaste roses does cover dusting.  I don't know if it would be worth it to you to pick it up but she does a great job of explaining all the rose techniques (single cutter, 5 petal cutter, quick roses, more time consuming detailed roses and dusting). It's really good.    Also, one quick tip I...
I don't know the dimensions of your cake, but you might be able to use a flange screwed into your board (center it in the middle of the cake) and put some pvc pipe up through the middle (cut a hole through your cake layers and cardboards) and stack with dowels. That will give you added stability.
For birthday cakes I use foam board (two layers taped and glued together then covered.) That way I'm not out a lot for expense and it doesn't matter if they return it.Sometimes I glue together about three cardboard cake rounds together and cover those to make a board (depending on the weight).If it's not too heavy of a cake I'll sometimes use those Wilton cake boards (purchased with a 40% off coupon at Michaels makes them cost effective - about $5.00 a board).I only use...
Thanks Batterbug for sharing your info from that phone call. I thought maybe they'd reduced the fat in the mix. Great to know!!
A couple things I thought of as I read through some new posts in the discussion.About the "holes" in the cake. Do you tap your pans before placing them in the oven? If not you might give that a try. After I pour the mix in to the pans, I bang them on the counter (carefully of course) for about 10 secs to get a bunch of bubbles to rise to the surface. It helps make the cake rise nicely inside.And someone mentioned that the DH brand didn't raise as well - I noticed that too...
I feel your pain. I used to use BC too. I've switched to Duncan Hines because they have more mix in their box. They've also downsized, but they are still more ounces of mix per box than BC.I used DH mix with the following extender. Just add this to what is already called for on the back of the box.1 cup cake flour1/2 cup sugar3 tsp. pudding mix1/2 tsp. baking soda1/2 tsp. baking powder1 extra eggI don't know if that helps, but I get good results with it. You'll have to add...
Sometimes having too much frosting on is the problem. I use a crusting butter cream. 1 cup butter, 1 cup shortening, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 lbs powdered sugar and 4 TBS 2% milk.Also, after I have frosted it (maybe an 1/8 of an inch thick- no thicker really) I put my cake in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes. This makes the butter in the frosting harden up and gives the cake the firmness you need to put on your fondant.After you remove it from the freezer, brush on a little...
Glycerin is found at Michaels too, in the Wilton section - along with meringue powder.
I'm not sure if I understand what you're going for completely BUT I've done many silhouette type elements before and i usually search for my silhouette images on Google image search.I search for "Silhouette" and then whatever it is ie) African animals, gazelle, etc.Also use "clip art" or "illustration" as key words.I use photoshop to size the pictures and then I print them, cut them out and use it as a template to cut our either gumpaste, fondant or modeling chocolate. I...