Posts by Cheyanne25

Like a few others the reason I started getting into cake decorating was so that I could be prepared for making my own wedding cake this past September. I had a fairly simple wedding and wasn't looking to dole out tons of money on things, but I still wanted a multi tiered one of a kind cake. Honestly, I was more amped about the cake than the dress. I used dummy cakes to make up some of the height, it also cut out alot of the stress as I was able to have them decorated well...
My husband bought me a $700 camera to take pictures of my cakes! I had been borrowing one from a friend for the past year to take pictures of my creations, and half of the time I didn't even bother. Now I never have to miss taking another picture again .
I own an airbrush and I almost always airbrush my fondant (unless its for a small detail like a rope border, and then I colour it). You can get darker colours much easier, you can customize your colours, you can use the shimmer airbrush colours to get an amazing finish, there are a ton of benefits. You have to be careful to put on light coats, and give it a bit of time to dry in between, but other than that it's easy peasy.
I own an airbrush and I almost always airbrush my fondant (unless its for a small detail like a rope border, and then I colour it). You can get darker colours much easier, you can customize your colours, you can use the shimmer airbrush colours to get an amazing finish, there are a ton of benefits. You have to be careful to put on light coats, and give it a bit of time to dry in between, but other than that it's easy peasy.
Nice to see so many cakers in Ontario! I'm in Kingston. Hey Antonia74, I've seen your cakes around, they're amazing. If you're ever looking for some help... lol.From what I've gathered for this area if it's an at home bakery it has to be separate, with all it's own stuff and cut off from pets.
There was a thread asking about this not too long ago, and some suggestions from more experienced members was to actually use a piece of fondant that you cut the scallop shape into and than you wrap it around the bottom of the cake to give the look of the scallops. Instead of draping over the top. (Hope that makes sense).
Sometimes I wonder if other industries have the same problem. For almost every kind of legit business there are people who are unlicensed/hobby who will do it from their homes for a customer who will pay them.I could see how equally frustrating it would be for a seamstress, photographer, florist, etc to be constantly undercut by people working out of their homes. I suppose that that's just part of business eh? You build up your image so that clients have more confidence...
If we're sharing gross grocery store stories:I use to work in a Deli/Bakery, I had the best manager. Then I moved away for college and a new store was opening up in the same city, so I decided to get a job there. My new manager was a hockey coach.... that's it... no experience with food in any way. Because I had years of experience they pretty much depended on me (I forced them to make me assistant manager, if I'm doing the work I'm going to be given the title and pay)....
I use IMBC I personally couldn't even fathom eating American Buttercream (I hate the texture) and people who get my cakes have almost never had IMBC so it makes them stand out. People love the 'special' icing and figure they have to order from me to get it lol. Plus if you sell somebody something as gourmet they'll decide they like it, if only because they figure they should like it.
I agree that cakes are (and should be fun) to do. I think this is probably one of the largest influences that the majority of those on here took up caking, myself included.But I've also got to say that I appreciate some of the posts that are a little less 'sprinkles and rainbows'. A lot of people are thinking about doing cakes as a business, have newly started their own cake shop, or have been at it for years. Cakes might be all sweetness and smiles (usually) but business...