Posts by nikkiraine

So I should go ahead and stack and crumb coat them before I start carving? Just so I'm clear. I've only ever done a very "rough" topsy turvy, and my mom actually did most of it as I was technically supposed to be on bed rest.
I've been asked to do a wedding cake in just a few weeks (they're lucky that they're family lol) and am needing a recipe for Chocolate, Pumpkin, and Carrot Cake that will withstand carving. They've asked me to make a "stump" cake that has three layers, and I'm doing fondant so I'm just wondering if anyone has recipe suggestions for this. Thanks!!
My mom and I got a request for a topsy turvy cake for a 13th birthday cake. We've never made one and were thinking of purchasing the cake pan set.I'm looking for some advice please. What are your thoughts? Do you prefer to cut your cake layers or do you prefer to use the pans? If you use the pans, do they use the same amount of cake batter as a regular layer? For instance, would a topsy turvy 8 inch layer use the same amount of cake batter as a regular 8 inch layer?Thanks...