Posts by BabyGerald

With so many extremely expensive "shortcuts" available (fondant fabric, cricut) that are marketed to one-shot, home bakers... At what point is a "home made" cake still home-made? Why don't I just deliver a finished cake to their house so they can put it on a plate and call it their own? (for an astronomical price, like other shortcuts.)In other words, if you want to make your kid a cake, why not actually do the work? Yes, this may involve rolling out fondant - horrors!...
Woah!! Sorry about the multiple postings - I kept getting error messages from the site about my response not posting - and then I see this!Yoinks! Please forgive...
What a cool project! Best of luck. I must ask... is there a copyright infringement fear when one attempts a cake like this?I know the cake isn't to be sold, but it's my understanding from other legal discussions on this forum that whether the cake is sold or not has no bearing on whether copyright infringement occurs.I ask out of deep fear that I'll never be allowed to make a superhero cake! (Or any sweet, pop culture-reference cake, for that matter.)Just wondering...
What a cool project! Best of luck. I must ask... is there a copyright infringement fear when one attempts a cake like this?I know the cake isn't to be sold, but it's my understanding from other legal discussions on this forum that whether the cake is sold or not has no bearing on whether copyright infringement occurs.I ask out of deep fear that I'll never be allowed to make a superhero cake! (Or any sweet, pop culture-reference cake, for that matter.)Just wondering...
I spoke with one of our local, master decorating pros (the owner of Spun Sugar in Berkeley, CA) recently at a cake show about this.She overwhelmingly recommended the Ateco (and they stopped carrying the Fat Daddio's) b/c the FD model would settle at a favorite spot, just like CC'er FromScratchSF mentioned in their post above. [Theory: So many people love their FD model, maybe there is variation in production quality?]Based on Spun Sugar's sub-optimal track record with the...
Thank you, Rylan!
I, too, was burned by the Wilton Professional (heavy duty) turntable - it worked OK for about 1 year (frequent use) and became more & more wobbly even though it was perfectly level when I purchased it. Now it's un-usable. (Crooked even when not spinning!)I suspect the "peg in a hole" design is doomed over time.Now, I'm looking for a ball-bearing turntable. (Fat Daddio's or Ateco)Cheers,BabyGerald
FromScratchSF, may I ask why you (may) hate your Fat Daddio's turntable? I'm considering getting one & haven't heard any negatives yet...Cheers,-BabyGerald