Posts by BabyGerald

Yup. My heating core was pre-filled with batter.My observation is simply that the grade of the bottom of the topsy-turvy pan seems too severe for use with a heating core. (Bottom of pan lined with parchment, btw.)I wouldn't try it again.HTH
I've had good luck with these pans (round and square) with one exception, when I tried to foolishly fly too close to the sun:Please don't try what I did:I wanted to see if I could use a heating core in the middle of the 14" pan, despite the fact that the surface is quite slanty. Ha! Of course, as the batter loosens during baking - the core went tip, tip, tip over and landed on its side, filling partly with batter.Funny! Happy ending: I caught it in time, saved the cake,...
Wouldn't the cake stability depend largely on the buttercream recipe to be used? (Butter vs. hi-ratio shortening proportions)For 83 degree weather I would trust my half butter/half shortening buttercream, personally, but shy away from using my all-butter recipe based on the temperature.I guess personal risk-aversion & experience would factor heavily, too. I would also use SPS to stack for insurance. Good luck!
I exclusively use the Guittard couveture as a white chocolate ganache coat and totally dig it! It won all my taste tests. I think America's Test Kitchen favored the Guittard white chocolate chips in their trials, but didn't use the couverture discs in their taste tests.Of course, it's very easy to find in the SF bay area b/c Guittard is made locally - another bonus.hth
JPepper: Adding a tiny bit of shortening will make your BC only a tiny bit heat-stable. Similarly, BC that is entirely shortening (no butter) would be more heat-stable than 50% butter/50% shortening. It's all about proportion.(Bear in mind, I am not endorsing the use of any particular amount of one or the other... I've been on CC long enough to stay out've that hornet's nest! LOL)
When applying an EI to dark fondant (and often on white fondant, too!) I always roll out 50/50 (fondant/gumpaste) very thinly, then "glue" on the EI, let sit for about 15-30 minutes, then cut out carefully with super-sharp craft knife. Then apply to cake.(Very similar to Panel7124's method.)Good luck!
If it was my cake I'd want a scorpion and rattlesnake on there! I realize that's not for everyone...btw, I grew up in the SW - Phoenix/Tempe, AZGood luck!
Adorable cake! The Minnie looks like a Frozen Buttercream Transfer (FBCT) to me. YouTube has tutorials on this to get you started. BUT... the best clinic is Sharon Zambito's FBCT on one of her DVDs. ("Sheet Cake Secrets" I want to say...) Good luck!-J
Great call, nanefy -Everytime I roll out fondant, maybe I'll drop $25 into my sheeter fund!
I love the idea that instead of being intimidated/living in fear of rolling fondant, (I can't believe I'm saying that!) one might choose courage, education & practice.They say "Fortune favors the brave." In this case, the "fortune" refers to 25 bucks a pop back in your pocket.