Posts by jenmat

Turn the oven down!!! You're cooking the outside before the inside even has hope of catching up, and as you realized, it is not death for cakes, but terrible for your cuppies. Maybe even lower it to 315? I never bake above 320. Even big cakes.
I wish we still could count on emails to alert us when there is a response!!Update- I actually got a response from the bride (yes, on her honeymoon), she said her daughters were in charge of the getting the items to me, and she was very disappointed because the venue was supposed to have the items out for them to see... Huh?Anyway, the vendor just called, on her way to drop the things off with my husband, who works with her mother.... and, she liked the cake so much that...
If you're serious, you need to change your mindset. You can't "just" do business. It is an all or nothing proposition. If you want to make money off what you love to do, you need to begin the process of getting to that point, and all the hitches along the way.I think most of us have gone through what you are going through- that changing of the mind that takes you from- "I JUST want to sell a couple of cakes a month from my home to "OK, I need a business plan, a loan,...
I know people who do Gumpaste flowers only and don't have to be licensed.
or cooks specialty? they are really cheap.
ok, I just got a call from the event site I worked with this weekend. The bride left all of my equipment with the site, and is now on her honeymoon. The contract she signed stated that the items must be returned by tomorrow or I would cash the check and begin deducting $5 per day until items are returned. I always thought that was fair, (and never had to deal with it) until this: This bride is an older bride (and a PITA) who threw a fit about the drive to my home. (about...
momma budda~I am in Greenleaf, and I know Brown County licenses home bakeries. Not sure about Manitiwoc County. I would contact John Paul at Brown County Health Dept. He is great to work with, and he will give you his counterpart in Man. County. You do have to have a separate kitchen, but it can be in your house. Good luck!
yeah, I have those kids too. Some of the books say 3 months in advance... I don't like those books...
2012?!!!! you've got be kidding me! Who stays engaged for that long? They must be in school or something. Yikes.
I have had about 6 calls this week about 2011 weddings. I am raising my prices on Jan 1, 2010, so I am telling them they can book the cake, but I will not guarantee pricing until Jan. Is this normal? Are you already booking that far?