Posts by jenmat

I'm pretty sure mine both roll when the machine turns on, both motorized. Mine is the big sommerset. 
 preach it. did them once, never again. 
Wow. I'm glad that the bride has changed her tune a little bit.    As far as what professionals do (from your original post): 1. Have a contract 2. All details MUST be finalized 2 weeks (or whatever) prior. No changes from that point on.  3. An invoice with date, time and location 4. A "last hurrah" email confirming everything on Monday or Tues, including setup instructions and delivery location/date/time 5. Often a venue contact- asking the venue for any special...
 I think the OP mostly wanted sympathy (which is fine, not knocking the need for commiseration!) but instead got advice on the answer to the question at the end of her original post. I don't think she thought we'd focus on the business end as much without recognizing both the stress it was on her and the effort she made to make it as right as she could at the time. OP, You did a great save. It wasn't what the bride wanted, but you held it together long enough to give them...
Dear Poor Bride~ First off I want to say how incredibly sorry I am that I wasn't able to deliver the cake I promised. I can only imagine how upsetting it was to not see the cake you expected to see on your day. I hope that the rest of your day was perfect, even if my part wasn't even close.    I have already sent your refund check in the mail- 100%. I have also enclosed a coupon for an 8" round cake of your choice. I know you may not wish to use it, but I want to be...
I dunno, to me that sounds totally weird as an instruction. I've never ever ever ever filled a pan that full nor had it go over the top of the edge. If she's instructing you to use a box mix and you're doing FromScratch's recipe (which I use), then I would fill it less full. Personally, I would bake 4 layers or even 3 layers to get the cake to 4".    But I'm not your instructor. 
It was bad enough for the bride and venue to call to see if you could do something about it.  Which means it wasn't what it was supposed to be. And they had to juggle their schedule.    I think $100 is the least I would offer, honestly. Probably $150 would be more of my comfort zone. I feel that it is my job to make sure that cake is secure and standing on level until cake cutting, barring major security issues like a huge bump/shove or table collapse. 
Oh my goodness.  Unless it was agreed upon that you deliver the cake a day early, this is on you. I'm not sure what the venue would be responsible for in a legal setting, but morally, if that cake was out of your hands and control 24 HOURS before it was supposed to be, I would be refunding fully and learning a big lesson.    A venue isn't going to care about the cake like you would, and how can you expect them to? It isn't their job to store a wedding cake...
Oh my word.  First, agreed with everyone else about correct boundaries on who sets up a cake. But you've learned.   Next, I'm sorry but grow a backbone or finish cakes earlier. If they show up 1 hour early, you say "um, you're one hour early, go away." I can imagine the kind of pressure you were under trying to get a cake finished while the customer is waiting for you. That would lead to disaster in my bakery as well, as I don't like having any kind of...
did you say the cake was sitting out before the client picked it up? Always chill that cake solid, so much easier on your nerves and on the cake!