Posts by jenmat

I know, right? I'm sure they are thinking it is a perfectly reasonable question, but it's really not an easy answer, you know?! I guess if I actually liked 3D cakes I'd be more apt to sit down and sketch and think and figure out all that info ahead of time (lol, probably not). But I don't really like them and to me it's an organic process. Take some cake, stack it sturdy, start carving and watch what comes out.    At that point it's more about the shape than it is the...
If there is decoration work on each cupcake, then she is probably getting a bargain. 
I don't love 3D cakes. I do them, but I'm not one to make anything spin or light up or anything. I just try to do clean work and make the cake colorful, somewhat detailed, and most of all, sturdy.    But I've been getting some push-back from type A customers lately. Don't get me wrong, I am type A. But I also understand the creation process so I "get" it.  I'm getting questions I can't answer well enough to satisfy these certain clients, and I empathize with these...
There are times that I can get a certain topper thru my supplier and then I will order it for them. I charge it to their final invoice plus shipping and tax. You don't want that type of topper back- with the lace, etc. If you were a bride, would you want to rent a topper than was used 6 months ago on someone else's cake? (not criticizing, just putting it into perspective.)
Those pillars are Bakery Craft push pillars. They are meant to be single use and are often used by grocery stores for their wedding cakes because they are cheap, sturdy and disposable. They are usually clear and if you want them to look solid you need to fill them with icing. I think BC makes solid white, but those featured are the clear ones- filled.    Even if you get them back, they will not look the same as they did when you had them new, since they are designed to...
While I completely understand where you are coming from, a few points: 1. This person may be a baker and is following you. You never know where new relationships can come from.  2. If they are asking you where to get supplies, it is very clear that even if you don't answer, they were not going to be your customer. 3. BUT if you answer and are helpful, maybe this DIY person will remember you the next time they realize they need a "more important" cake or when in a...
I have an IKEA butcherblock table and I love it. It's huge and fits both my sheeter and plenty of rolling room. I typically put it thru the sheeter and then roll to size. 
Try and quick put a call out on the cake decorating page for help. Give it a few hours- you just never know. I'm about 14 hours away, otherwise I'd totally make the drive to help you.  I feel terrible for you and your painful situation, but I also hate to see a bride go without cake if it can be avoided!!!
I think even if you send her that email requesting more money, she's either going to ignore it or pull a "try and get it from me" type thing. I would. Or I would ask for cake to match what I'm paying you. In this case you changed the date, and the risk of changing the date of the due payment was that until that payment was made, they could cancel.  Not that they intended to cancel, but that was the risk of changing the contract, and truly the risk of any wedding...
Was the cake cold? If not, any number of things, including vibrations from the car and roads could cause a split in the bottom tier.  It still looks to me like a brake slam, but a cold cake would weather the storm better and this cake doesn't look cold to me.