Posts by jenmat

I guess I have a different take on whether to take the order. As a small business owner, I have the responsibility to protect my business. Almost like protecting my child from those who might hurt her, if warning bells go off, I need to respond. There is a reason I no longer work at a large business that needs to take every client. By not taking this order you are possibly loosing money. But he has already expressed the ability he has to get money back from a...
Don't answer her anymore. Simple as that. You are letting her continue to control you by answering her. You said no. It doesn't matter why, you said no and as we all know "no means NO."   I agree that sometimes difficult and exacting customers can turn into your biggest cheerleaders. But this customer isn't just exacting. She was RUDE in her initial contact and tried to haggle even when boundaries were clearly set. Those are the issues, not the color or design (although...
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the clixstix saved as a favorite on Amazon. Hoping to find some other types too. 
Her emergency is not your problem. So will she be emailing you? Phone call? Text? "I am so sorry, but at this point it is simply too late to complete any order. I know it probably puts you in a bind, and I'm sorry to have to do that to you and the grandkids, but I hope that maybe next time we can make it happen!"
Vetting your customers, especially large order customers is part of this business. It's my responsibility to protect my business from people who could damage it. My cakes, for the majority of circumstances, go to customers who will treat them (and me!) politely and appreciatively. I always approach an email or phone call with a professional, but SLIGHTLY aloof manner which I hope conveys that I while I want their business, I don't NEED their business. That way it is easier...
Definitely agree with this. I do vent when someone has an issue that is now my issue, but I can usually word my actual reply in a professional way that still helps the customer feel validated. It's amazing how many times I've seen a person on CC get (bad) advice and then reply to a customer with something so terribly rude I can't believe they actually sent it. Venting is one thing, but good business is another. I would be curious to see different scenarios and how good...
Hey all~ Busy season is on its way and I'm in the market for some letter sets. I see all sorts of great letters on my FB feed and instead of trying to chase them down individually, I thought I'd attempt to hit the Easy Button and ask you lovely members if you have any favorite cutter sets that you use. I'm looking for several different sizes and styles. I have the tappit funky set, but there seem to be so many more out there! Post them here with a link or name that we...
I'm the queen of tactful replies to stupid questions, so feel free to PM or ask me and I can usually come up with a good way of telling someone where they should go and make them enjoy the ride. :)   Usually I begin with acknowledging their "issue"- while I understand that you are on a tight budget and cakes can be very expensive, I am sorry to say I can't meet your price. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful!   Basically if you show that you understand their feelings,...
While I agree that you can't control what she does with the cake, I also agree that it doesn't sound like it was mishandled. The figure should have been anchored with a skewer if it was going to travel that far.    I would be refunding at least the amount of the figure, if not a bit off the cake itself. If she paid for the figure to be on the cake and it wasn't on the cake when she displayed it, then she deserves some type of compensation for that- doesn't matter if it...
See the only thing I can say to the refund issue is that as the "expert" you should know better than to use a stand that isn't sturdy.    But you've already said you aren't an expert. And you told her that too.    A small refund is in order simply because the cake was slightly leaning  and the ruffles probably weren't perfect anymore. And as a non-expert you wouldn't know how to make it all come together in the end without anyone knowing. That's why people pay for an...