Posts by jenmat

I "wing" it. Never was able to get the "using board as a guide" thing, although it totally makes sense. I could easily use the scalloped edge and not have to cut them away. I use 3 waxed cardboards glue-gunned together. I like the height and the sturdiness It offers.    Always use your home base for everything you can possibly do. Working in unexpected conditions spells disaster unless you are used to making magic with mud.  I would next time make the cake tiers, set...
yeah it was because you airbrushed it on wet RI. Airbrush paint will bead up when something is wet. If you have pearl dust I would mix some into the RI, then go over it with a alcohol/dust mixture and a teeny brush once dried. Sucks, but that is kinda what you have to do. You might be surprised that it's easier that way. 
Funny, the first thing I thought was "was it strawberry sleeved filling?" And then yes it was. If it was sitting out for a long time at room temp with strawberry filling....well I can see this happening just the way they say- the vibrations from the car fractured it. And when the cake falls apart it's not because of the supports in this situation, it's because of the filling and the cake's day's worth of soaking it up. I dunno. While the circumstance of the weird picture...
I tell people all the time that most things "can" be done in buttercream, with the exception of painting/guilding. When I tell people they need fondant, I usually word it that "I" won't do it in buttercream. That way they aren't thinking I'm pulling this type of situation. Because I know that they can go to joe-schmoe down the road and he will make them their bright red iced elmo cake in buttercream without blinking an eye. I don't like lying to my customers, even if it...
lol, awesomeness... I don't have ANY problem laying down the law. What annoys me is the customer who is then angry at ME for telling her the truth. Dude, then pick another cake!   I like doing stripes on buttercream though- more wiggle room!   But I won't do deep colored buttercream. And that is where the arguments come in. They send a bright red base-iced buttercream cake and I say no, I won't do that to your intestines. And it will be all streaky because I don't use...
Yes, I did. I have 2 "dry" fridges that are upright non-commercial fridges in my garage. They have enough space for 3 wedding cakes. Residential is THE way to go! Get em used on Craigslist!
It's like a cake pickup line!!!! Where's the wingman? She wanted to get creative hoping maybe she could pick you up by her wittiness?  Love it. 
Funny story, I had a bride last year who was super nice- great to work with and pleased with my ideas and the final result. I always make an anniversary cake for the couple to take home and freeze. I don't want to make another one the year later. She knew this, as it is something we discuss at her tasting and it is in the contract.   BUT she wrote me ON HER ANNIVERSARY wondering when I was going to ship her cake to her and to let me know she had a new address. UMMMMM...
Um, no. You teach people how to treat you. Develop a policy and stick to it.    Take deposits, finalize orders 1 week out, and don't let people do this to you. You may need the money, but in 6 months you will be angry, bitter and pissed off. People treat you how you let them.  "I'm sorry, I'd LOVE to help you, but I need at least 7 days' notice. Please think of me next time!"   This is not the customer's fault, this is yours. Sorry for the tough love, we all go...
I guess I have a different take on whether to take the order. As a small business owner, I have the responsibility to protect my business. Almost like protecting my child from those who might hurt her, if warning bells go off, I need to respond. There is a reason I no longer work at a large business that needs to take every client. By not taking this order you are possibly loosing money. But he has already expressed the ability he has to get money back from a...