Posts by lomfise

Hello again   Thank you for your replies. I like both the idea with the peace dove and the joined hands, and think I'll try them both. Perhaps with some square cookies with the words 'Hope' and 'Peace'.   @cakealicious7, I saw the photos from Syria, and knew I had to do something  Luckily I have the support of both my boss and my nearest colleague for the bakesale.   Have a wonderful day     Louise
Hi all,   I'm arranging a bakesale at my work, where all the donations will go to the Red Cross to help the 7 million Syrian refugees the UN have now estimated exists    I'd like one of my contributions to be a batch of decorated cookies, but am a bit lost for ideas other than childrens faces and the Red Cross logo, so any and all suggestions are very welcome   Thank you so much.   Louise
Hi, my experience is, that you can use (real) marzipan over buttercream, but not over ganache because the cream makes the marzipan react and it starts to "sweat". Marzipan is more fragile to roll out and move than fondant, and also harder to colour.   You can, however, knead marzipan and fondant together 50/50 and it will have marzipan taste and fondant texture. I use the Danish brand Odense Marzipan (which by the way tastes fantastic! )   HTH.
This weekend I finally had the time and opportunity to try my hand at homemade butter   Making the butter was so easy I couldn't believe it, and from 1 litre of cream I ended up with 400g of butter and about 350 ml of buttermilk. The butter felt and tasted exactly like bought butter, and after a little math I found that it is actually a good deal cheaper for me to make it myself so definitely will in the future.   The next day I made SMBC with the butter, and the...
Hi Gemmal   Thanks so much for your reply, you've given me the confidence to give it a try  Lurpak is the local brand so I'm very familiar with it and it is great, it's just so very expensive here. For some reason unsalted is more expensive than salted and never on offer at the shops, I have no clue why that is.   Have a nice day   Kind regards, Louise 
Hello all   Where I live unsalted butter is quite expensive, so I've been wondering if it's possible to make my own butter by simply whipping cream to the right consitency. I've looked online and it looks rather simple to make butter, and most recipes claim that it will keep for two weeks in the fridge.   I'm going to experiment with some cream as soon as I have time, but have any of you ever tried making buttercream from homemade butter and have any tips and...
I too have a 40+ job that demands all of my time energy throughout the week, so have made a few rules to avoid the scenario you've described, though I have to say that my family is very good at not making cake-demands on me.   1. If I offer to make the cake, then I pay the ingredients - if someone asks me to make a cake for them, then they pay for the ingredients. There are only two exceptions to this rule and that is my mother and father (who often pay me anyway),...
For my two cents...   I love the idea of the original Price the Cake threds, because even as a hobby baker (and I never plan to be anything else) I find them highly educational - and hilarious. I do hope you'll continue with them.   The spin-off threads mentioned here, however, I CAN'T stand them and agree one hundred percent that bakers need to do their own homework. It isn't that hard to figure out how much you've spent on ingredients and approximately how many...
Couldn't agree more with what's been said in the posts above. Scratch baking is NOT difficult, it's simply a matter of taking the time to understand a few basic rules - Have all your ingredients at room temperatur before you start- Follow the recipe- WEIGH your ingredients- Learn what creaming, whisking, beating and folding means. I love baking from scratch, it's relaxing and such a wonderful feeling when the cake comes out of the oven smelling delicious, but best of all...
I don't know about the frosting being squishy, but I don't think I would care to eat cream cheese that's been left out of the fridge for 4 hours, which is essentially what you're proposing. Make a small batch and leave it on your kitchen counter for 4 hours, then smell, taste and try to work with it. Otherwise, can't you bring the frosting in a cooler and apply it to the cake on arrival?