Posts by kakedreamer1212

I'm sorry to just be posting a reply to all of your comments. I actually did make a mistake when I wrote this post. The cake was actually made with 4, 6 inch round cakes and after reading several replies on it the first day, I felt much better about my pricing. I did return her call but got no answer and haven't heard from her since although, boy was my face red  when we happen to have stumbled into eachother at my son's school a few days later. Nothing was said by...
The cake took 10 hours just to stack and decorate it. This didn't include mixing and baking. I told her that when she picked it up because her daughter asked me that very question. I do live in a small city and there are'nt to many other places around without traveling about 50 miles that she could have gotten a cake like this. There are some (several) people that are doing cake out of their homes that do not have a license, that are pretty well giving their cakes away....
I made a cake last weekend for a client of mine that was a 3-D can of beer. The actual size of the cake was 9 inches tall. Was made with 4, 4 inch round cakes and feed about 24 ppl. Here is a picture of the cake. It's difficult to tell the scale of the cake in the picture but like I said, it was 9 inches tall. This morning my client called to the cake was great and it tasted really good but she felt like I was pricing myself right out of doing birthday cakes and...
First I want to say that I have a legal kitchen and hate to ask this question so please dont beat me up. I have only made those small individual, one serving, square or round wedding cakes that require their own small cake board and are generally accompanied by an anniversary tier  presented on a cupcake tower one other time and might I add, I hated them. They were definately more work than I had anticipated for what I charged. My question is what SHOULD I be charging...
What is the best way to figure the number of servings that are left in a 3-D cake after you have carved the shape?
I live in a very small town and while I have made many cakes, up until recently, not so many wedding cakes. Up until recently that is. I have never offered tastings and no one has ever asked. Most just want the common flavors like choc.,stw., or white because they don't want to pay the extra amount for a gourmet flavor so when they ask about price, I give them a price for a basic flavor. Here lately I have had 2 brides ask if I do cake tastings so I am now considering it....
Thank you for all your help. I know it's there somewhere because I've used it before. I printed the recipe off from that thread but for some reason, when I went through my recipes, it was missing. I don't really have a problem trying another recipe but just really loved this one and wanting to stick with something I knew was good and I have already tried.
Just a thought...would it be possible to use dry ice? Of course you wouldn't get the spewing over effect but you would get the smoke. I was thinking maybe you could make a hole in the top and insert a small container inside with the dry ice and water in the container/ small bottle. Not sure you could get the boiling lava effect without messing the cake up. I would think that dry ice would be food safe as long as it isn't touching the cake but someone else might be able to...
My daughter is getting me an Agbay for Christmas this year!!!!! YAY!!!!! I HATE the Wilton. Some how my the blade got a bit warped and when I use it , the cakes come out more unlevel than before I used it. You would think Wilton would know by now that it's a bad product.
Does anyone have the link to the free flower tutorials Rylan posted? Thank you.