Posts by cloetzu

I've made and like flour frosting (ie thicken milk with flour, add flavoring, sugar etc) cool and add to butter - beat etc.   But i'm not sure how long it can stay unrefrigerated since it has milk in it? thus wondering if I can substitute water for the milk?  any ideas?   Here is the Recipe: 1/4 cup flour 1 cup sugar 1 cup milk 1 cup butter cut in cubes 1 tsp vanilla Heat milk, wisk in flour and stir for 4-5 minutes until thick.    Beat sugar with...
Can someone either post a link to Baker's Kitchen or send me the link in a PM? ARe you referring to the business in the US or UK or other? I've Googled it and found a few hits so not sure which one is correct or even if either are ;(
I would like to make a bobble head cat cake for my daughter's 4th birthday later this month. I've seen a few here on CC and on You Tube that look similar to what I'd like to try making but can't figure out a good way to make the head bobble/attach/float the had above the body.I've sent PMs to the ones I've seen here and have heard back from the wonderful ladies that made them but they all seem to be stationary except one and I can't figure out that one yet ;( waiting to...
Hello,I will be in the Palm Springs/ Desert Springs area between March 3-11 and was wondering if anyone knows of any conventions or classes taking place in the area?I need to book my tickets TOMORROW so please let me know THANKS!!
when i made it (using the recipe at the top of this thread), I vigorously stirred the milk (in a pot) with a whisk as I slowly added the flour. then heated to almost a boil.... and continued to stir until both hands started to get very tiered - it was roughly 8-10 min. it thickened up to coat the back of spoon but was still liquid. took it off the burner and while I waited for it to cool I put the butter and granulated sugar in my mixer and let it mix on medium for...
Thanks!'chemical' is a good way to describe it - it is an odd chemical taste... so that would exist in the chiffon too? what causes it? i don't taste it in other cakes...
I'm trying to move from box mixes to scratch recipes and in doing so learning about baking trying new recipes as often as I can.I was looking at a recipe for chiffon cake (and at the pictures) and it looks very similar to an angel food cake... or at least it does to an inexperienced scratch baker like me...are they similar? is the final texture and flavour similar? the only reason i ask is that I HATE the taste of angel food cakes (personal preference) but I do like the...
Thanks everyone!I looked at the recipe on the Wilton site quoted above...the ingredients are the same (except that wilton also adds salt) but the proportions are different and the steps in the process are different... but they probably yield the same result.I noticed that the Wilton version says that you must refrigerate the icing (ie refrigerate the cupcakes you use it on)... why? is it to firm it up or because something will spoil if left out? if the latter, what will...
Thanks everyone!I looked at the recipe on the Wilton site quoted above...the ingredients are the same but the proportions are different and the steps in the process are different... they may yield the same result but I'm not sure.
The other night I was looking for a new frosting/icing recipe to try... found one that was part of a cake recipe and listed simply as 'frosting' at the bottom of the cake recipe.I LOVED the final result but was wondering if this frosting recipe has a 'better/real' name other then 'frosting'?frosting ingredients:1 cup milk3 tbs flour1 cup sugar1 cup butter1 tsp flavoringdirections: beat sugar with butter. heat milk with flour. cool. combine the two (and flavoring) and beat...