Posts by Bettycrockermommy

I would say that it is fondant, put through an extruder and then put inside a bowl to dry. That's how I would do it anyway.
Stringwork!
You can definitely use cake mix. Like bisbqueenb said, it's the support system that holds up the cake.
The sink holes are air bubbles. I have heard that if you strain the royal icing through a cheese cloth or a brand new knee high panty hose, it will help with that.
Michaels sells styrofoam balls. I would use that. Cover it first in modeling chocolate and the bumps should be smoothed out.
I mailed a cake to a friend through US Postal. Here is the thread that shows how I did it. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5150443-.html
I use the edge of the board as a guide for smoothing my icing. My icing isn't too thick. However, my cakes don't shrink a lot either.
Congrats!!! You look fabulous!
This is exactly what I use for my large cakes! It works great!!
I use chocolate chips ALL the time to modeling chocolate. The recipe is 16 oz of chocolate chips to 3/4 cup of light corn syrup. If you want white modeling chocolate, use 24 oz of white chocolate chips to 3/4 cup of corn syrup.