Posts by llbesq

I received a request from this same "person" through Wedding Wire. The one I received was eerily similar to e-mail inquiries we receive regularly for legal representation through our law firm website - same grammer and same sentence structure. Although the e-mail you received has more detail, it still says "scam" to me. from my experience.
I would say simple with a border and, at the most, a few understated flowers. I think it would be a nice touch to make the cake the flavor that your friend liked of yours. I know when my step-daughter passed away, I made individual banana puddings for the reception after the service - she always wanted banana pudding when she came home. I am so sorry for your loss and hope that the service is a special remembrance for your friend.
Thanks for the post! It finally explains how my cake business debit card (which I only use at a few places - Michael's in Springfield, VA being one place) was attempted to be used to purchase an I-Pod, etc. Fortunately, at the time there wasn't enough money in the account to cover the charges and I received a phone call about it.
Thanks, SecretAgentCakeBaker - great photos but not the one I saw. Thanks for your time and for responding Lesson learned - if you think you may want to refer again to a photo, save it!
I located a photo earlier this week of a three cake, wedding cake display (larger center cake and smaller cakes on each side) - white cakes decorated in blue. I failed to save the photo thinking I could find it again. I have searched and searched this morning and cannot find the photo again. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. I am meeting with a bride who wants a visual on a multi-cake display vs a larger tiered cake. Thanks for...
I agree with the previous posts that you need to use a strong enough board for your cakes but I also find that my buttercream (Sugarshack recipe with 1/2 butter and 1/2 hi-ratio shortening) is more susceptible to cracking if I don't use enough liquid and it is too dry and not creamy.
I just recently used black royal icing to stencil on a white buttercream cake (I have posted photos here). My advice is to let your buttercream crust over really well. I was also able to refrigerate the smaller tiers before stenciling and that worked well also. The largest tier was too big for my fridge, so I just let it crust over before attempting the stenciling. Just take your time (and a deep breath) - it does work! Lift the stencil without moving it sideways or...
This thread made me laugh - how true! Everyone has expectations of what you "the cake maker" will bring and then I end up putting so much pressure on myself, I don't enjoy the event.
I use butterscotch buttercream icing as a filling for butterscotch cake. Just melt some butterscotch chips and add to your buttercream. Everyone that has tasted it raves about it.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. My husband and I were just talking about this very topic on the way to our law office today (cake business is a side business). Your post is very encouraging to me and I am sure to many others today