Posts by mrsbriggs06

Thanks!! <3 it was an amazing feeling having it finished and to have it so well received!
Well-- I did it! I pulled it off! :) Used authentic knobs & stings... and it stood.. and it was amazing! http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2877423/a/3277734/full-size-gibson-les-paul-custom-electric-guitar-and-amp-amp-contained-a-speaker-which-played-stevie-ray-vaughan-doing-voodoo-child-guitar-was-a-full-sized-replica-and-other-than-support-the-only-non-edibles-were-the-authentic-guitar-strings/ (I also have a full "how it was made" album if anyone wants details)
thankfully, the design got changed to a different guitar by the same maker which features black knobs-- they are still clear on the actual guitar, but at least it won't look completely out of place if I 'fake it' with fondant. I will be at the cake cutting, so I may try to get the actual knobs here in time. Thanks for the input!
I need clear guitar knobs for an electric guitar cake...I'm worried that poured sugar/isomalt (which I've NEVER done) may be my only option second to using actual knobs....These are the knobs I'd like to replicate-- I was hoping i could use fondant or sugar paper to make the gold part, then put the gelatin knobs on top.. i'm concerned about the gelatin being slimy or melting.....i've seen this done ONCE, but there weren't instructions and I can't even relocate the photos...
I have 3-- 9yrs old, 4 yrs old & almost 2 yrs old. I 'get' where you're coming from-- I do-- so please don't take this as condescending or judgmental, but instead as advice & experience. I began my business when my 4 yr old was 2. It was not far into the first year that she was able to occupy herself while I baked. As for decorating, I sacrificed sleep. Fastforward to last year when my son joined the crew-- I was floored! I didn't remember caking being this 'hard'. I...
ditto to the ads-- they are of a size that is SO overbearing... of course that's great for the advertisers, and I get that this is a free site and you need adspace, but wow. It would be a little easier on the eyes even if the facebook like box was placed at the top of the ad columns. As it is, the first thing I see is a flashy neiman marcus ad with a butterfly zooming into the pic. Quite distracting, and as it's flash based, it's not exactly 'friendly' to those who may be...
*double post
from what i recall, edible means your body will process/break it down. the glitter is, in fact, plastic, so your body will not break it down.. it will pass through your system. as mentioned above, it will take a considerable amount to make someone sick, etc. i use it sparingly on things for family/friends, but only on items that won't be consumed for others (toppers, accents that can be removed, etc.)
When you call to reinforce the contract, state that if she unable to pay before the check arrives then you will be unable to begin prepwork for her cake. Those handmade flowers that need to dry? Can't start them. You can't do your job until she does hers.... And hope that she hasn't gotten in too deep financially leaving you holding a bad check..
Recreating a cake for a friend's inlaw's 40th wedding anniversary... Dreading making peach wilton roses and a bakery border, lol!.... Thankfully the cake is for a small gathering so i am making a 4" + 6" which means only a few roses! My friend usually lets me get quite creative with her cakes so going this traditional is definitely a change for us both! I did try the '1M rose swirl' covered cake today for a 1 layer quickie which I took to a neighbor for her bday. She loved...