Posts by sugarjones

I can tell you from experience that you want to be where there are rooftops! Your busiest days will be on the weekends when none of those workers from downtown will be around (if you were to open downtown) My first shop is in a small strip mall in the middle of a neighborhood and we sell a boatload! You will have most of you customers running in, grabbing cupcakes and jumping back in their car. Trust me, I see it all day long. If parking is an issue, they will simply not...
Hey Everyone- I've been using the Square app from the get-go at my bakery and have really loved it! When the new "Stand" came out in July, I had to have it!! Well, I'm on my second one and I still can't get the darn thing to charge while it's in the stand. Does anyone use it and if so, have you had this problem? Side rant: Square doesn't have a phone number so I can't call them with my problems, that sucks! Thanks!
I use an iPad and Square Register for the POS in my store. We also have a cash drawer and receipt printer that are hooked up to it. It's pretty darn awesome I must say. My only complaint is that you can't do partial payments (half cash/half card) and there is no way to do gift cards. Otherwise, it's a flat fee and you can all the reports you need from it. Let me know if you need any info, it's kind of a pain to find the peripherals for a good price :-)  
I totally agree with "Delete & Ban". I've had to do this a few times. We have almost 6000 fans on our Facebook page so naturally other businesses want to plug themselves without my permission. I have noticed that almost every single time I get a nasty comment about something they are either a home-baker trying to plug themselves ("I can do it better, blah, blah, blah) or they are fans of a competitor (coincidence? I think not!) I have a "disclaimer" on my page that...
The smash cake for $45? No problem :-)  
Ugh!! I hear ya!! I am not so soft hearted, however :-) I don't negotiate pricing, it is what it is. If someone wants a lower price they will get less cake, less decorations, etc. And while I'm on this tangent, who the heck is telling brides that dummy cakes are super cheap? I have to explain this all the time! If you have a kitchen cake (we don't do sheet cakes) for 400 people and have a 6 tiered styrofoam cake on display, you are still paying for the labor and...
Thank you everyone for the valuable information!! I understand the fee being applied to the balance now too :-) Weddings are less than 10% of my annual sales so if I have 3/4 consultations a week during peak season, it is not worth it to me to allow customers to choose their flavors. We have over 70 of them since we can make almost any cupcake flavor into a cake flavor. I have people ALL the time asking for a tasting/free samples because they are "thinking about...
Yes!! That's a great idea!! I should probably have a minimum for price though. What if I get consultations for 3 doz cupcakes just because they know they'll get $25 off? I guess I'm thinking worse case scenarios but I'm amazed by people everyday with what they'll try to get for free :-)  
Hi Everyone! I have a bit of a dilemma about consultations. I used to only do consultations for parties of 125 or more and they are complimentary. I recently changed that to keep the complimentary consults but under that number I charge $25. I do consults after my store is closed and provide the customer with 8 flavor choices (they do not get to choose). I have a potential customer who is wondering why I charge $25 for a consult but I don't exactly know how to...
Yes!! That's the one!I saw that video but it doesn't show how she does it, it just shows her asking her employees to go with her and build it for her. Bummer