Posts by Rylan

One of the first places you should check out (if you haven't yet) are your local distributors that provides all the bulk ingredients to restaurants, bakeries, etc. If you don't have a business, they still may sell to you. I was so surprised when I did a search on that. Since then, I just order my ingredients from them.
For rolling the fondant, I love to use my 18"-20" aluminum rolling pin. When the fondant is ready to be rolled into a "tape", I then turn into the Wilton 20" rollin pin to transfer. I'm sure the pvc would be great for transferring as well.
I love using Amoretti extracts. The flavor is powerful...just don't overdo it because like many extracts, too much can turn bitter.
I personally like to use a combination of both when working with gumpaste or fondant. About 50/50.
If it was me, I'd make them out of pastillage, modeling chocolate or gumpaste with tons of extra tylose. From there, I would maybe paint over it with chocolate. If I am using modeling chocolate, I'd carve and play with it from there.
Hi Sam, I'm guessing that your buttercream must have been extremely thick or the recipe couldn't handle the weight of the fondant. I love to use ganache. Since I used it, I never really had a big problem. When filling the pan, it really depends on the recipe. I have recipes that only needs pans to be filled 1/2 way while some are 3/4. Also, I've used untorted cakes from a 2 inch pans. I just stack and fill once and ice.
Hi Sam! It really does depend. Some people would use a thick layer of crumb coat, some people prefer a thick layer of buttercream. I personally use ganache and I only use a thin layer. Usually about 1/4 to 2/5 of an inch. I have done 1/4" to 1/2" and it worked out fine.
Sorry about the problems you have encountered. To answer your question, on which accents or lighter gumpaste/fondant, I just brush them off with a small brush. If it is darker, I rub it with a very thin layer of shortening. For small and delicate pieces, I use a brush with a bit of shortening. The gloss will not be as glossy after a while.
It really does depend. I usually like to use 2 inch pans and torte the baked cakes in half. I don't have a fancy torting tool like the Agbay so I prefer this method. Most of the time, my cakes will end up a 4 or 5 inches.
I also love to use plain shortening to let the fondant adhere on the dummy. The good thing about this is that it is easy to shift without damaging the fondant. It also removes very easily (not too sticky).