Posts by pastrychef101

Because, as you said, people have different perceptions of what RV cake tastes like, I always ask clients if they prefer a yellow or chocolate base. In essence, if they are wanting more chocolate flavor. I have two RV recipes that I use, and the second is specifically for those clients that are wanting a stronger chocolate flavor. You may want to consider discussing the client's preference in advance and having a couple of good RV recipes rather than just one. In my...
This sounds like a personal preference regarding box versus scratch rather than you doing something wrong.I DISAGREE and don't think you should offer any sort of discount or freebie. A scratch red-velvet cake is not dark if your recipe starts with a yellow base, and it is dense. It sounds like your client is used to a box cake (or grocery store) for taste and color and doesn't like scratch...again a personal preference.Was this a wedding cake or a party cake? Has this...
I decided not to offer them anything. I spoke with the owners of the venue, and the MOB has threatened legal action against them and wants a full refund for everything...catering, DJ, photography, cake, flowers, etc. It's best that I not have any further contact with the MOB or bride. The venue was going to offer her a refund for the cake since the money in the account was never used for a cake, which is the obvious and logical solution. I understand there being a snag...
That is a great suggestion, and I think I'll call the MOB tomorrow and offer the anniversary cake to the couple. Thank you for the wonderful input!
I forgot to mention that we aren't the exclusive cake vendor for this venue. There are two other cake vendors that can be selected for a client's package deal. When I never heard back from the MOB, of course I assumed she went with one of the other cake vendors for her daughter's package. When we met, she did indicate she was visiting at least one of the other cake vendors. Therefore, I did not feel it was my obligation to contact the venue prior to the wedding for any...
[quote="love2makecakesI'm just curious as to what is in it for the venue to order the cake from you? Do they have a markup on the cake? I guess I'm really wondering how it works if they (the client) sign a contract with you and they (the client) have to go over everything with you and sign your contract and then turn around and sign a contract also with the venue and pay the venue. I really don't see what the point of having a package lined up for the cake with the...
Thanks, everyone. I just wasn't in a good mood at the time I read the comments so my apologies. This has been a valuable lesson learned from the standpoint of further protecting ourselves. People read our contracts and are amazed at the contents, but I tell them these things actually do happen. As I said previously, I made the decision to have a separate contract for this venue's clients and a procedural list if they don't decide to contract with us at the initial...
Foxicakes, I am not the one at fault here and do not appreciate you insinuating such. I do have checks and balances with this venue. I WAS NEVER CONTACTED NOR HAD A CONTRACT. AT NO POINT WERE WE ASKED TO DO THE CAKE. There was not a contract to send the venue. I'm not sure how you do not understand that. I ended up being booked on the date, and had the MOB contacted me, I would have had to graciously turn down the order. There have been no issues prior to this, and...
Spoke to the MOB, and she acknowledged that she had provided us with incomplete information, never signed a contract, nor contacted us after our initial informal meeting. However, she is unwilling to accept any responsibility and said that her telling the venue that she wanted us to do the cake should have been sufficient enough. Apparently she expected them to order the cake by selecting the design and flavors, although that was not the contract she had with the venue. ...
Spoke to the MOB, and she acknowledged that she had provided us with incomplete information, never signed a contract, nor contacted us after our initial informal meeting. However, she is unwilling to accept any responsibility and said that her telling the venue that she wanted us to do the cake should have been sufficient enough. Apparently she expected them to order the cake by selecting the design and flavors, although that was not the contract she had with the venue. ...