Posts by cakes22

One giant piece of fondant...rolled by hand.....thnx for the advice, went fairly smoothly (the second attempt )
Howdy, I need to cover a car cake shaped like a 1967 Pymouth Roadrunner. It's fairly large and has a lot of angles, ridges etc carved into. I'm wondering if I should try to cover it in once piece of fondant (and by large I mean 26 inches long x 11 inches wide x 8 inches tall at it highest spot) or in sections....like roof, the hood, trunk, side panels....I am leaning toward the one piece, as I am afraid of fondant seams Help? Suggestions?
I'm in Ottawa On. I have acutally found a Satin Ice dealer thru Kijiji. It's realitivly inexpensive. But I also like Virgin Ice from Bulk Barn, and now that they are selling colours, it makes it much easier
Yup. I had the first layer with the bottom up and the second layer with the leveled side on top of that so that the second layers bottom was facing up (make sense )
I had to rebake cause when I peeled off the fondant(which I tried to do very gingerly) part of the cake went with it, mainly the top 2mm of the top layer. I had scraped the cake down to the bare bones, and as I did that some of the cake started to crumble and there were dents and stuff, and I just wasn't happy with the way it looked. I figured (in my warped sense of cake karma) that if this cake wasn't working with fondant, then I wasn't going to try with b/c even though,...
I have been fairly lucky with my cakes, not really having any issues that really couldn't be fixed with a creative cover up like a b/c flower or fondant cut-out This past weekend I had to make a cake for a little girl who turned 5. They wanted a very simple round cake with the quilted look on fondant and they had supplied a crown to be placed on top of the cake. The border was just round beaded fondant pieces, with pearl dust and those little edible dagrees...
Don't think that way, really. You have a good idea with the tiers/serving. I would maybe do two tiers in a larger size ( 8 & 10"), or something similar. You will still have roughly the same amount, just not so crowded looking.OrDo a 6 & 9 ( if you have those pans already) and make matching cupcakes to make up the difference.Head up, Chiquita, it's all good & it's just cake....
I think Wilton's pans are 2"pans. First off, with those sizes your tiers are going to be tight. It doesn't give much room for borders, decorations etc around the tiers. Just a thought.....
There is a party cake cutting guide & wedding cake cutting guide on Wilton's site. Though the pieces may seem small, trust me, its the best way to slice up a cake.Most cake muggles just hack in and have no idea how to cut a cake properly. Everyone ends up with whacked out slices, some with more icing than others, some with more cake Drives me batty!!! ITS CAKE MURDER, I tell'ya....... It's better to have the right size cake to the amount of servings needed. So if you...
LOL!!I was thinking the same thing.