Posts by debm1

It's not okay in PA, unless you are giving the cake away. I just went into business the end of 2012. I started talking with the PA Dept. of Agriculture in June. Also, I started my facebook page which clearly stated that this was a hobby, and NOT a business, but a showcase for my cakes. I also stated that it was my hope to someday be a cake business, but I wasn't yet. I wanted to get some "likes", so that when the news came out that the business was started, I might have...
I try not to get too wound up. If they can't afford it, they can visit Wal-Mart. I picked up a little cake flyer at Wal-Mart. The servings are based on a 1" x 1" x 4" slice. My servings are larger. I decided to do a little write up on my facebook page and my website blog page that gives a little "peek" into what is involved in custom cake design. It by no means covers all that is involved, but when customers read it, they should get a whole new appreciation for what we...
This is a great place. The prices are really good, and they have a really nice assortment, too. http://www.bulkfood.net/site/1025611/
Whatever name you come up with, make sure you check your state/municipality for the legal guidelines. Can you run this business from home? Do you have to have a separate kitchen/facility? How do you get licensed in FL? It's not worth starting an illegal retail food establishment... and paying for business cards, etc., and then being shut down by the "powers that be".  Those things aside, enjoy the journey! Cake design/decorating is such a wonderful art!
ElegantThemes.com has some great themes. You pay a flat yearly rate, and that gives you rights to use all of their themes, and updates. They also have an elegant builder plugin, that when activated on your wordpress site, gives you the ability to personalize pages with a simple drag-and-drop page builder. I've built a few sites with their themes, and now I have to finish my own sites. They have quite a few themes that are responsive, too... meaning they work seamlessly...
LKing12, I enjoyed your facebook tour of your kitchen. I'm another who loves the freedom of scheduling work around life, rather than life around work. I wish you much success in your business. God bless you and yours!
K8memphis, Thank-you so much! We have seen miracles, and would welcome another...without the operations. However it happens, it will be nice to walk normally again. I'm fine baking and decorating... it can be hard delivering large cakes like wedding cakes. I think I'll look for a strong, dependable teenager to help carry the big ones... if I can stand the thought of trusting a kid with a cake. Yikes! :)
jollyb9, There are sites online that offer Food Safety Manager Certification Training courses... HOWEVER, even though they look good, or the price might be nice, BEWARE. They are not always accepted in your state. You don't want to pay twice. Find out from your local inspector which courses are accepted. I ended up going with the ServeSafe TAP series online classes that are through the Penn State Extension (locally). The classes are all online. Then when finished, you...
Jollyb9, You'll have to check out your state/town... whatever group the "Powers That Be" are where you live. I had to build a second kitchen. It is in my basement, and that is okay in PA. No animals can have access to it. In PA, you CAN be approved to bake from your home kitchen, too... with limitations. No children can have access while you are working. All ingredients must be stored separately from your family foods. No animals can have access to the kitchen area at...
ANDaniels, I used this recipe for a wedding cake (the bottom tier was carrot, and one other). It was fabulous, and stacked very well. I do build a structure in the cake. You'd have to. It was very heavy. The only thing that is somewhat of a pain is slicing/trimming the carrot cake, as the knife gets stuck on the carrots, raisins, etc... I would not use the carrot cake for carving 3-D cakes for that reason. I will use this recipe again, for sure. Paired with cream...