Posts by debm1

Link to the 10% off: http://www.cakeboss.com/Buy/CakeCentralPurchase.aspx
HaHa... Jason, when I copied & pasted, it bunched it all together, and there were no breaks. Same thing when I added it to the sites. Then, I thought I'd leave it all bunched up like that, as it makes it kind of overwhelming, like the writer can't even find the time to take a breath. Good or bad, there was a reason to the madness. :) When I put it on here, I gave it only a couple breaks for sanity's sake.   One more thing... I really enjoy your posts. I have learned...
I added this to my website, and my facebook page. It gives some insight into "custom costs".   Ever wonder why custom cakes cost so much more than cakes from the grocery store? I’ll try to compare, but honestly, there is not much to compare. The grocery store usually has X number of cakes to choose from. They have lots of layers mass-baked, for you and a number of other people. That fluffy white icing comes in a lovely white plastic 5-gallon bucket, and the raspberry...
Here's my advice for the future: Get a BIG safety pin, and bend it open so its easy to hold and use. Put a nice, long, BRIGHT piece of ribbon through the loopdy loo circle of the pin, and tie a knot in the ribbon. You can hang it in a convenient place, wear it around your neck, or pin it to your shirt while working with the air bubbles. It would be might hard to lose on the floor, and certainly hard to lose in a cake. For what it's worth...
If you can wait a while, go to Kohls (department store) and open an account. When you do, they send out mailers quite often with either 15% off, 20 % off, or 30% off your whole order, even sale items. Then, sometimes you earn what they call "Kohls Cash" to spend on a future order.   Here's what it's like: Get a 30% off kohls deal on an order. The Pro 600 Kitchenaid (6 qt.) retails at $549.99 at Kohls, but it's on sale for $449.99. $449.99, less 30% coupon =...
If I saw a zombie-type thing for a logo, I would go right on by... That would be a real put-off to me (just my preferences). I think whatever you go with, plan for the long-haul. If you became quite popular as a home business and then went with a store front, people would recognize your name from before... a good thing, if you had a good reputation. On the flip side, if you change your name then, people won't know who you are, and you'll be starting from scratch as far...
Loving it!
I had not thought of it that way. You have a point there. Now, my biggest hurdle is pricing. Sculpting from modeling chocolate (etc.) can take so much time. Before it was a business, the time was not as important. Now it's not a gift, it's a sale. I keep finding that I underprice...not the ingredients. That's the easy part. It's the ART that's hard to calculate. Thanks for your input, Jason. I have read many of your posts. This whole site has been so much help... and...
K8memphis, unfortunately, I don't have the mouth-watering marble counters. I'm the other one. The fine was only if I sold a cake after signing the papers. And it was a PER cake fine, if the Dept. of Ag. caught me selling cakes. Honestly, I was freaked when I got the call, but the inspector put me at ease. He said that because I had been accused of running a bakery, he had to investigate... and there were multiple people accused, all by the same bakery. Since I already...
An idea... maybe make a list of ingredients, and your friend could go shopping, and buy all the ingredients, and drop them off at your house. That way, they bought their own ingredients, and you get to enjoy using your decorating skills. Just a thought...