Posts by CakeDiosa

When I took a cake course we used a super stiff icing too. The instructor explained that it was so that what we were learning to pipe would hold and that if we substituted the recipe she'd know because anything else would be too soft. Just use if for the course as your "training icing" but you'll probably use something else for your other cakes because that stuff is super sweeeetttt. Have fun in class!!!
Like Catlharper said you are best to be sure that dowel goes through bottom cake board and into your base board. I use 1/2" foam core from Michaels. Double up underneath to create more foam for that center dowel to secure into. I did this on my Chinese lantern cake which was a total of four 6 rounds, stack and dowel inside like you plan to do. Here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1498719&sub=1498720Hope this makes...
Oh my gosh, Mike, that's hilarious. One of those that I startled chuckling at then it turned into a full blown hoot and holler.I'm with Mike on that. I've gone from begging for orders that I didn't even make cost on to charging what I think is reasonable and now I'm my own little cake snob in my own little bubble and I've morphed from "No...no, I really want people to be able to afford these amazing cakes...I don't care how LONG it takes me." To wanting the word on the...
Here's another one to look at. It's the only I've ever saved to favorites and the only one that would ever inspire me if I did take an order for a sheetcake. I would have never thought you could make it so clean, current and gorgeous!http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1359479.html
You can use dried corn husks from the grocery store for veining (lightly dust your gumpaste/fondant with cornstarch before veining) and for flowers and leaves you can google whatever flower you are looking for, type "template" and hit images. Usually a lot come up. Scale it to whatever size you need, print it out on card stock, cut it out and either use the cut out or the shape created in your cardstock as your template. Best advice I got for sugar flowers: think...
It's possible. I just did it tonight on an entire white choc candy melts picture frame. Looks like pure gold. What I do is first paint the piece with airbrush gold with a paint brush. You may be able to also use vodka and yellow (I've had the best success with the airbrush gold though because it's thicker, maybe?). Let it dry until it is slightly tacky to the touch but not at all wet. If it's too wet your dust will clump on it and just pull off in a clumpy clump. ...
OOoohhh noooo!!! Well, if it's any consolation I think we all get one those days every once in awhile. At first I chalked it to me paying my dues, time in the trenches. Now I think they are thrown my way to humble me every now and then. Doesn't make it easier though. No ma'am! Not when you are looking at that cake going "How can I salvage this!" When you know you can't. Have to rebake. Wait to cool...ugh. And the dropped filling...and the meat and veggies.... no no...
I cover my boards. Sometimes in advance. Sometimes not. I spread piping gel around about 4" inches of the outside edge of the board leaving the center clean of piping gel. Lay my fondant. I then take the pan size of the cake that will sit on top and trace around it. Then I cut out that center circle so that I can adhere cake board directly to foam board with no fondant in between. I adhere with non toxic glue and pieces of duct tape. Not only do you manage to save...
oh, and don't email "him" back. Once they know they have a "good" email address with a live person on the other end considered yourself forever on the line up of spammers. So, in this case, no response is your best response. Going back to my in box to mark it as spam. Thanks, Mike!
ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!! I just got this email too! It reads "suspicious" from the very start! I literally laughed out loud. And those horrendous cake flavors???? I could tell it's written from someone out of the country - well, everything about it is fishy so I didn't even bother to respond. When I googled the email address this CC link came up first! Once again we learn to trust our instincts..... hilarious! Thanks for this post. I was wondering where a...